• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Recommendation to Solve Specific Software Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I use an excellent piece of software called Paperport by Nuance. It is excellent for establishing a paperless filing system and over the past 16 years or so I have used it very successfully to scan and file almost everything from bills to medical records to bank statements, etc. The latest version of Paperport (Ver 14) is not as well behaved as previous versions as it has a tendency to frequently lock up or hesitate with annoying delays. Nuance, of course, denies any issue but the forums are full of questions about others with the similar problems. From what others have said, the memory timings specified in the bios setup are critically important and I have influenced the behavior somewhat by changing these settings (from automatic 11-11-11-28 to XMP 1.2 Profile 1 9-9-9-24, the latter being exactly what is specified for the memory).

I am currently using 2x4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), 9-9-9-24 with a CAS latency 0f 9. I want to try to upgrade this memory to something consequentially faster and more agile to avoid any possible timing conflicts with respect to how Paperport expects the memory to behave. Unfortunately, I do not know enough about memory specifications to understand the seeming conflicting parameters and how they trade off. I am also willing to upgrade from 8 to 16 GB but I doubt this will be needed.

Any recommendations for a memory spec that will be more tolerant of software that requires tight memory timings would be welcome.

This applies to a different machine than in my profile below and I am running a i5 3570K at 4.0 Ghz using an ASRock Z77M.

Right now best performance offers something like G.Skill TridentX 1866 CL8, 2133 CL9 or 2400 CL10. It's the fastest memory that you can find in 8GB modules ( 2x8GB or 4x8GB kits ). It can also work at tigher timings than these declared by manufacturer.

I'm not sure how much performance gain you will see from this memory but it's not much more expensive than standard kits. I'm also not sure what may cause any conflicts here. At least in bandwidth/latency benchmarks it's performing really good.

On 3570K higher CPU clock can also help with higher memory performance as cache clock will be higher.

Back