• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory selection for Asus X370 Crosshair Hero VI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jorjas

I am planning my second build and have decided to go down the AMD route this time.

This is what I am planning to buy:

Board - ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600
RAM - CORSAIR CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16GB)
GPU - ASUS PH-GTX1050-2G
PSU - CORSAIR CP-9020092-UK RM750x
Storage - Samsung 960 EVO M.2-2280 250GB (for OS) + 2 SATA HDDs
OS - Windows 10 64-bit

The rig is not for gaming. I do want to run a 4K monitor. I selected the board because I want to get into overclocking in the future.

I wanted to use Windows 7 but have read there are problems with using it with the X370 chipset.

I will be updating the BIOS to the latest version as soon as I get the board.

The other issue I have found is to do with RAM selection. I consulted the DDR QVL list on the Asus website but it appears not to have been updated since March.

The reason I wanted to go with 2 x 16GB sticks is because I wanted to leave slots free for possible future expansion.

Can someone please tell me if there are any issues with the RAM I am buying?

Every RAM will work on any Ryzen board but no one will guarantee how high you will be able to set its frequency. In general dual rank kits are not working on this platform at 3200 and 16GB modules are only dual rank. However I don't know what improvements were made in CH6 BIOS. Maybe it works right now. In the worst case it will work at 2666.

Recently I'm losing my trust to QVL lists. There are many boards which are sharing the same lists and I doubt that every motherboard was tested with the same set of memory kits. On the other hand if memory is compatible with all standards then it should work. Up to 2666 shouldn't be any issue with all available memory kits. At 2933 and above a lot depends on memory profiles and motherboard BIOS.

Thanks

Every RAM will work on any Ryzen board but no one will guarantee how high you will be able to set its frequency. In general dual rank kits are not working on this platform at 3200 and 16GB modules are only dual rank. However I don't know what improvements were made in CH6 BIOS. Maybe it works right now. In the worst case it will work at 2666.

Recently I'm losing my trust to QVL lists. There are many boards which are sharing the same lists and I doubt that every motherboard was tested with the same set of memory kits. On the other hand if memory is compatible with all standards then it should work. Up to 2666 shouldn't be any issue with all available memory kits. At 2933 and above a lot depends on memory profiles and motherboard BIOS.

Thanks a lot for your help Woomack. Much appreciated.

Back