• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Slot Dimensions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkade

Hi, I didn't plan on making this for all memory slots, but since we are all here, why not make this a Informational post with them all? I am 3D designing a bracket to cool the FB sticks of ram in my Workstation/Folding Station, But I need the exact dimensions of the ram Slots in order to make the bracket.

My exact board is the Intel D5400XS, I need the technical measurement of the bracket. I don't have a caliper to take them myself, and a ruler turned out poorly, and got me a bad bracket, so I need as much help as i can get so i stop wasting plastic on bad prints.

Not all memory slots are the same, it depends from slot manufacturer. Memory size is the same but not all slots. Some boards have even 2 different sized slots ( mainly these older ).

Hate to tell you, but you're most likely not going to find that without just getting some calipers.
Never seen a board specify that dimension set.

My calipers aren't large enough to measure it :(, I'll take it to the lab if i must. Was hoping someone else had something close for me.

My calipers aren't large enough to measure it :(, I'll take it to the lab if i must. Was hoping someone else had something close for me.

Unless someone has that exact board it'll be no closer than your ruler measurement.
All boards have different spacing to them, that's why most coolers clip to the ends of the RAM stick.

Huh, only ram coolers i've used are Corsair, and those clip the the ram sockets, but are very flexible, so it fits alot of sockets.

Get bigger calipers. Otherwise, you need to hope someone has the exact same board AND a set of calipers bigger than yours since you already know slot sizes vary... sounds needle in the haystackish to me...

Alternatively you could not cool them since they don't remotely need it, or buy OTS coolers for the ram.

Get bigger calipers. Otherwise, you need to hope someone has the exact same board AND a set of calipers bigger than yours since you already know slot sizes vary... sounds needle in the haystackish to me...

Alternatively you could not cool them since they don't remotely need it, or buy OTS coolers for the ram.

+∞

Those are the coolers I was referencing earlier Arkade.

Not cool my ram? You've gotta be kidding me. If you re read above, the letters "FB" are hidden in there. Without the fan, under full load, the ram exceeds 95C, and i stopped it there afraid the sticks would explode. O_O

EDIT, problem number 2 is that All market ram coolers don't fit because the hit my CPU cooler on both CPU's, so my only solution was to make one, lemme go snap a pic

Not cool my ram? You've gotta be kidding me. If you re read above, the letters "FB" are hidden in there. Without the fan, under full load, the ram exceeds 95C, and i stopped it there afraid the sticks would explode. O_O

EDIT, problem number 2 is that All market ram coolers don't fit because the hit my CPU cooler on both CPU's, so my only solution was to make one, lemme go snap a pic

You don't need a RAM cooler, you need more airflow over the motherboard.

Curious how you are measuring ram temps... I have never seen that outside of GPUs.

What is "FB"? That doesn't mean anything to me...

I am guessing this is for a server or something and ECC/registered ram?

Curious how you are measuring ram temps... I have never seen that outside of GPUs.

What is "FB"? That doesn't mean anything to me...

I am guessing this is for a server or something and ECC/registered ram?

Most ECC RAM has temperature monitors. Mine stay ~30-35C.

FB Ram is Fully Buffered Ram, and it is ECC, each stick has a tempertaure sensor on the I/O chip, which is the hotest part of the stick, this is an FB stick

7667-oblique.jpg

I don't have the best room inside this workstation to add airflow directly over the ram, due to the CPU coolers blocking a major portion of the insides. Currently have a fan just freely sitting on the gpu, keeps the temps at 60C full load and 40C idle.

This is what my Memory area looks like

Intel-Skulltrail-Quad-memory,8-O-79368-13.jpg

And this is with coolers and current case(actual picture, however in this picture, only 2 sticks are shown, there is 4 sticks)

1fec29253d76.jpg

Last edited:
Just figure out a way to attach the fan instead of just laying it there and you already have a solution.
No need to complicate the situation when all you need is a single fan.

All I'm trying to do is make a bracket to hold the fan in place. ;_;

All I'm trying to do is make a bracket to hold the fan in place. ;_;

By your original post I thought you were trying to make a singular heatsink for all the RAM that attached to the DIMM slots, not just a fan holder.

What EarthDog linked will do exactly that, hold a fan above the RAM.

The issue is, my heatsinks on the CPU's run into the Ram coolers I already own, so i'm trying to make a low profile cooler to fit over the ram, and hold the fan in place still. Lemme find a camera and show you what i made(but was too small and broke)

Back