• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory upgrade dilemma

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaverax

So I've been playing Fallout 4, and I'm really close to capping out my memory and need an upgrade.

I'm running 3x2gb ram in triple channel. Problem is, should I upgrade to 3 more 2gb sticks or get 2x4GB? Both are about the same price. I could also throw in another 2GB stick for 12 dollars or so, and it's supposed to run triple channel and single channel, but I'm skeptical of the performance.

I think the main thing I'm asking is, if I should worry about triple vs dual channel, and also if I should worry about all 6 memory slots being occupied while overclocking. Anyone had any success getting 8GB sticks running on this board?

System: 4.3 GHz i7 920, G.skill 3x2GB 2000MHz memory Cas 9@ 1.6v, Asus rampage extreme 3.

I would get a set of exactly what you have now to get you to 6x2GB.
We suggest not mixing and matching RAM, it can cause stability issues.

That's the problem, if I get 3x2gb I'll be stuck with different ram for sure. Best I can do is 1600mhz with Cas 9, but that is about what mines running at.

ram speed buys you nothing, just make sure you have enough.
and atm is spot on, no mixing ram please.

a while back I tested ram speed from 800 up to 2400 and it was very surprising, 2-5 fps...........

If you can't do a matching set, then get 3x 4GB sticks and sell your current set.

Looks like the other kit SDRAM DDR3 1333 cost more and is slower, jump fast looks like a price error.

in my ram testing I only found three times that ram timings or speed helped ( outside of owning an amd fx cpu)
those were,
#1, if you used the onboard gpu, no video card, that is because the video used system ram for video ram.
#2, rendering video and such.
#3, benchmarking.
other than that I run a bunch of 1866, 9-9-9 ram because it was cheaper by the gig than anything else I could find at the time.
if 1333, 9-9-9 was cheaper at the time I would be running that in all my rigs.

Back