• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Merged 8800GT Review/Article Threads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's 3DMark, UT3 can be set at anything, but for me it hits a cap of 62 fps. There are software programs that override this to lets you see the "real" fps you should get.

I can run UT3 in 1920x1440 for example.
Need more info :bang head

Just go into your Documents, Your Games, UT3 folder, UT Game, Config, and open the UTEngine.ini file. Then set the first value shown below to false or set the fps limit as high as you want in the 3rd entry. :)

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62

Just go into your Documents, Your Games, UT3 folder, UT Game, Config, and open the UTEngine.ini file. Then set the first value shown below to false or set the fps limit as high as you want in the 3rd entry. :)

Will do!

Since I was getting 62 no matter what was going on, on 1280 and 1600. I got high hopes for this thing!

:D Chances are the frame rate will be quite a bit higher with your setup than 62fps. Which bodes well, considering the demo was released with only the medium resolution textures to keep the file size down.

Snagged a picture of what might be the back of the 8800GT.

2000944038494491822_rs.jpg

Snagged a picture of what might be the back of the 8800GT.

2000944038494491822_rs.jpg

looks like they didnt keep the same ram layout and went back to the "standard" layout they had on the 6 and 7 series.

also looks like the mounting holes round the core are of the same layout (space apart) as the 6 and 7 series.

looks like they didnt keep the same ram layout and went back to the "standard" layout they had on the 6 and 7 series.

also looks like the mounting holes round the core are of the same layout (space apart) as the 6 and 7 series.

Wonder if the 6 or 7 series coolers would work well on this. Since it would put out less heat... (Accelero S1)

I want my 4 slot cooler...

:D Chances are the frame rate will be quite a bit higher with your setup than 62fps. Which bodes well, considering the demo was released with only the medium resolution textures to keep the file size down.

It is 75 in open areas and can dip to 65 in firefights. Max is 85 and stays there most of the time.

Not bad for medium I guess.

8800GT might be a worthy replacement for my ancient 7800GT :)

$250.xx is the magic number...

That's still pretty expensive for me, but maybe I'm just asking for too much. I was hoping it would be around $200 so it is actually the middle ground between the 8600GTS and the 8800GTS, price wise.

My guess is that the 256MB 8800GT is the card that is designed to compete with ATI in the lower price range. The $300+ cards are all dominated by Nvidia right now but ATI has some lower priced cards that are only a little bit slower than Nvidia's cards but for $100 more.

The 256MB 8800GT at $200 will smoke ATI and the 512MB 8800GT will be that mid priced card replacing the GTS line.

Once the 65ns hits the GTX and ULTRA replacement that will be the top of the line card and will remain $500-700 of which ATI has no answer for.

For me, the 8800GT 512MB @ $300 will be the card I will buy because it will run UT3 and Crysis without a problem without the pricetag.

Yeah I'm looking at the same solution for vid. You can't beat the pricetag, if this card spec. hold-up to rumors.

Last edited:
Hmm.. I have a feeling Im sold on the 8800GT. Would be a great upgrade to my 6200 LOL. Ill actually be able to get more than 0.13FPS in UT3 :D woot. Hopefully they come out in NZ soon :)

Back