• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Messed up LGA 1155 processor socket ( wiring )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme_VEX42

Recently while dusting my motherboard (msi H61M-P31 G3) i happen to partly damage my processor socket (lga 1155). It apeared to me as if there was a strand of hair in the lower half of the socket, curious of how it got there, i tried to get it out. After I pulled off enough of the strand (like 15 cms) i realised I've been pulling on a thin-purposfully-wraped copper wire. And yes i panicked and ended up pulling most of it out.

It resulted in lower performing desktop. The readings on taskmanager would give between 0 to 3 Ghz but i think its only for 2 cores instead of 4, also the processor's heat sink remains at room temprature or slightly higher (same after applying fresh heatsink compound). The pc keeps lagging every now n then for 3 to 20 secs, n especially way more than before when playing some directx intensive game (on integrated Intel HD Graphics 2000) Ifnyone has any deeper insight on this pls share.

Is there any way to get that wire ( or the same type of wire ) wrapped inside the socket again and gain back optimal performance?? Or will I HAVE to get a whole new board??

Last edited:
Throw that board away. There is no fix for mutilated sockets.

I'd like to see a pic of what you're talking about though.

Yeah, I can't imagine that. I don't think there are any wires in the socket per se. Just contact pads on the top side and solder traces on the backside.

I've seen bent pins and damaged sockets, but this one has me curious as to what the poster of the thread is talking about.

I'd also like to see pictures of this.

Back