• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

messed up usb in win 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kpw

Registered
Im posting this from my phone so sorry about the formatting. Yesterday I was installing some usb drivers for a usb in system programer. A little while later my mouse disconned (its old so this happens once in a whiile) but this time wouldnt come back on. Still made the connection sound but no go. I figured it had just finally gone out so I shut down using the keyboard and went to the store, when I rebooted none of the usb stuff works at the log on screen. I lack a old style mouse and kb to test with. I tried to do a system restore but its the same after it finishes. Howrver mouse and keyboard work fine during. They also work fine with a live cd so im thinking its the driver I installed. Can anyone reccomend a way to try and fix this that isnt a clean install? Thanks in advance guys.

Win7 64bit student

Well I ended up figuring it out. Since I didnt know what drivers were affected I decided to try and build a usb to ps2 adaptor. Some 22ga solid wire in the keyboard plug and a breadboard and i was back in. Quick driver reinstall an its mostly back except all the visual styles are disabled.... Lesson learned, keep a backup mouse and keyboard around.

Cheers

Back