• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mic Not Working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1cem4n

I have just started using a mic and it isn't working with my Asus p4c800-e deluxe. I haven't installed soundmax but I have installed the sound drivers. I think its my motherboard's problem because it works fine on my friend's computer. I got the mic to work but then I got no sound. Then I got the sound to work again but no mic. Any Help?

-1cem4n

I think you need Soundmax. If I remember, Asus uses software to tell which plug does what (they're interchangeable) and soundmax is where you set it all up at.

I installed soundmax and the mic works but I can't get my Creative 2.1 Speakers to work. The sound in the headset doesn't work either.

-1cem4n

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices. Make sure you have your onboard selected (AC97?) selected, and not muted.
You can also check in SoundMax to make sure it has a device enabled for the green output plug. I don't have the SoundMax in now, I switched mobo's, but I think there's a button to push to make it go through the setup (ya know the questions it asks, "what device did you plug into the pink jack?" etc..) .
Make sure you've selected to use speakers instead of it having <none> selected.

Sounds like you're halfway there with the MIC working now...

Thats the problem, When I have sound only AC97 shows up and when I have the mic working, it only has Soundmax. It's like soundmax overwrites AC97. I can't get sound to work on Soundmax. Sound only works for my motherboard when I have Realtek AC97 installed and I have the speaker line connected to the blue port(which I think is suppose to be line-in) so I don't know

EDIT:Am I only allowed to have one device? It's called default device but shouldn't I be allowed to change it so I have Soundmax on Voice Recording and Realtek AC97 on sound?

-1cem4n

Last edited:
Hmmm. Sounds like something got hosed during driver install and it won't get over it.
You're correct that blue is normally sound input, but the Asus mobo's are interchangeable, meaning that software determines which port is used for what. So you could be able to set them for whatever device you'd like to plug in, like using the pink one for output, or using the blue for mic.

How your's is behaving is just not right. And the problems getting beyond me bud.

What I'd try is a format reinstall of the OS. Not a perfect answer, I know.
I always make sure that Service Pack 2 and direct X are in first, then install drivers from the CD, then plug-in devices like printers and scanners last. Make sure speakers and MIC are plugged in before you install any of the mobo drivers/soundmax.

Sorry I couldn't do much more...Maybe Asus' forum would have more help.

Back