• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Micorsoft Backup (files not backed up)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PolePosition

I'm finding that Windows 7 is not a "power user" friendly environment.
I have a relatively small SSD (Solid State Drive) for which i installed the OS to take advantage of its high speed characteristics and have another much larger mechanical HDD I like to use for files which often clutter the system drive such as the "index file" and certain "users" files (documents, music, videos, pictures) with the exception of the system administrator user, which remains intact on the "C" drive, and only gets used for system tasks.

This was done by simply creating corresponding EMPTY folders for both the TEMP, TMP index files and each "users" file on my other HDD (in my case the "B" drive)and changing the location from the "C" drive (right click Computer>Properties>Advanced system setting>Advanced tab>Environment variables) and editing the value for each user (upper pane) and the system (lower pane). Then to move each "users" file, I restarted in Safe mode for each user and moved their folders to corresponding folders created on the different HDD ( "C">users>username>right click(documents,music,photos, pictures)>properties>location tab) and change the drive letter, then follow the prompts. After I reboot into normal Windows, all works well. A more informed tutorial on this can be found by one of the responders (Frederic Jeanbart) at;

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n/73450b25-d794-4f18-9add-75253b893343?page=2

although I don't recommend changing the default Program Files directory.

The trouble is when I run Microsoft backup, I receive an error that some of the users files which were moved to a different drive did not get backed up, even though I included both drives in the backup process instead of the Windows default (recommended) selection radio button. So I wonder if those users files were backed up and this is just a default error reporting message programmed into the program OR if they were truly not backed up?

If there are some other tips and tricks to performing a reliable backup, this would be a good thread to post your ideas.

Thanks

Very similar to Apple's iPhone backup....it doesn't actually back up the data, it just figures the system settings will be enough <--- stoopeeed.

Im not very familiar with windows 7 NT backup yet but with windows server 2003. I understand that it will work well you just need to learn and tweak it a little.
good luck

Back