• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MicroATX 7950s crossfired - Temperature issues!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smacchesney

Hey all,

New here as I've only recently built my first PC! Thanks for having me!

I'm having issues with overheating of one of my XFX 7950s. A picture of the build can be seen here:

A2SRQ7C.jpg

NOTE: I've moved the cables that are in front of the top intake fan!

And parts list:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/F1FW

Whilst playing Crysis 3 for about an hour, I'm noticing the bottom GPU reaches around 88C @ 100% fan, whereas the upper GPU's T lies at around 70C.

I'm currently in the process of replacing the two front intake fans with better ones. (Silverstone AP121 for the top, and Scythe Slipstream 1900 RPM for the bottom). So far, I've only installed the AP121 and waiting for the scythe to come through the post. Going from stock fan to the AP121 dropped the bottom cards T by about 10C (98C to 88C), and hoping the scythe slipstream helps even more.

I'd like to ask if anyone has any ideas as to how I can further reduce the temps, so that I can start playing with overclocks without worrying about overheating TOO much. I'm not talking 1100Mhz, but going from something like 800Mhz - 900 Mhz would be ideal. What kind of Temp increases would I see by doing this?

Watercooling is an option, but only as a last resort!! I was considering this thing:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/arctic_accelero_hybrid_7970_liquid_cooling_system_review,1.html

But not sure if I'd have enough space between my cards?

Are there any small form factor aftermarket coolers than could do the trick?

Last edited:
Before investing in expensive after market cooler(s), I'd replace the GPUs TIM with quality one (like MX-4).

You might see a 5 to 10°C gain.

Where are you going to put 2 of those water coolers?

Anyway, try replacing the TIM and see if that helps.. othewise, due to your limitations there isnt much you can do really.

Before investing in expensive after market cooler(s), I'd replace the GPUs TIM with quality one (like MX-4).

You might see a 5 to 10°C gain.

Great idea, didn't consider this. Should point out though, I ran these two cards separately with Heaven 4.0 and topped @ 63/64C at 100% fan speed each, but will try regardless.

I have Arctic 5 Silver at home - would this be on par with the MX-4? EDIT: Found my answer here: http://www.vortez.net/contentteller.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=4138

Where are you going to put 2 of those water coolers?

If I had to, I think I'd be able to fit a Dual bay res/pump in the 5.25" bays, connected to a 120x2 Radiator at the front. Something similiar to this:

It would basically be a dual loop system. GPUs on one, and CPUs on the thermaltake.

MX-4 is a bit better (1°C maybe...), but if you don't get better temps with AS5, not worth trying wis MX-4.

Do you happen to know if there's a way I can re-apply TIM without voiding the warranty? I believe there are stickers over the screws - and these cards are only 2 weeks old!

Your temps are still below the max. The one card is being starved for air. New TIM won't fix that problem. Actually, a larger case can help somewhat, but no matter what you do, the cards are too close together. One way to get the temps down is buy a massive tri-SLI board where the third PCIe slot is at least PCIe 2.0.

Then your top card will be able to breath since there is 2-3" of space, not 3/16".

Or you buy ($500 for two GPUs or so) full on water cooling, but it is gonna be a modders (experienced modder too) nightmare to fit that into that case. Actually, probably an impossibility.

Back