• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft and their annoying multiple Vista versions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ashura

I purchased Vista Home Premium SP1 Retail Upgrade via Amazon for one of the XP PCs at home thinking it would include 64 bit software since Ultimate Retail came with both. It doesn't. Are there any Home Premium Upgrade versions that come with the 64 bit media?

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Vista..._1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1219437783&sr=8-2

The Windows Marketplace download doesn't specify if the download is 64 bit or not either.

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?view=info&itemid=6007997#productSpecs

I was previously going to use this method to fresh install which seems to be legal and fine ("People who use this workaround without a licensed copy of XP or earlier versions of Windows are violating the terms of use agreed to when they purchased the upgrade version of Windows Vista," said a Microsoft representative.), but since I have a 32bit upgrade disc, that's no longer an option:

http://news.cnet.com/Vista-upgrade-workaround-revealed/2100-1016_3-6159318.html

Since I have the XP key, the new Vista upgrade key, and the Windows Home Premium install disc that came with my laptop that has both 32bit and 64 bit versions on the disc, is there any way I could work getting a 64bit Vista Home Premium fresh installed onto the PC? Or is returning the $90 upgrade and buying the $200 full retail my only option?

Last edited:
you get what you pay for....cruise Ebay, I find for M$ stuffs the prices can't be beat, just be carefull....obviously

it would cost $150+ normally for the double disk full version(32bit/64bit) at Ebay, some go for a lot more, they come either with one key for both, or in the case of the set I purchased, a separate CD key for each one (nice), the upgrade with both the 32bit/64bit versions go for around $125 to $140, at Ebay....mine came in DVD/CD envelopes, no box, OEM for builders......

if you want to get the upgrade that specifcally states both 32bit and 64 bit (hint, the box won't be green, and maybe no box at all), then follow the instuctions for a full install with and upgrade version that you found, don't worry about M$ and using the upgrade version for a clean install, you will be able to have all functions and will be completely legal in the eyes of bigbrudda's online checking system....as long as you are using a legal key, all is good....

I got mine on Ebay, and got a great dealio ($155 shipped)....full versions both, and as stated each with their own key, so both are viable...this was the Vista Ultimate 32/64/full install

if you get a set with only one key, then you have to make a choice, you can run with either, but not both at the same time or bigbrudda will make life difficult for you...

my only advise is to make sure all the stuffs you use/have attached to the lappy has a 64bit driver available....

you are gonna love the extra ram recog, i have 8 gigs on mine, very nice....also, more than likely the laptop OS CD has some major bloatware added to both the 32bit and 64bit versions, but you could give it a try if you want, stranger things have happened in my world before, to my utter surprise, ya never know until you try...

laterzzzz................

Last edited:
Ah, Microsoft isn't so annoying after all. Turns out you can obtain 64-bit software by going here: www.windowsvista.com/1033/ordermedia. It costs 10 bucks (free regular shipping, another 6 bucks for expedited) but that's way better than nothing. :)

[/U]Windows Home Premium install disc that came with my laptop that has both 32bit and 64 bit versions on the disc

Right there sir is all you need. Install this, upgrade to SP1, then use the key for your new copy. I know its a PITA but it works. This is because every Vista disk sent out, say Vista without SP1 every disk is the same, same with SP1.

The way I figured it out is I got a Vista Ultimate Upgrade set originally. Well on my last reinstall I forgot to enter my Key before upgrading to SP1 so I figured that would of messed up my key from working. So I did the next thing, I got a Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1 Disk when I went to a MS event. While I installed 64-bit, all I needed was the key. Used that key on my Vista Ulimate Upgrade install, and it worked perfectly fine.

Only versions that include both 32-bit and 64-bit disks is Vista Ultimate, rest you have to get either via OEM or go to the MS website and send out $10 to get the 64-bit disk from them.

if you have already purchased Vista Ultimate, and it came with both DVDs (32 bit and 64 bit)

then you do not need to buy any more software.
it doesnt matter what version of vista you want to run, as long as you have a product key for the version you want to run, you are fine.

retail DVDs of Vista include ALL versions of vista on them. i.e basic, premium, and ultimate.

so, you said you have a 32 bit version of Vista Premium, but you want to try 64 bit.

use your ultimate 64 bit DVD to install.
during the install process, it will ask you to enter a product key.
enter your Vista Premium key.
install 64 bit.

also, Vista 64 bit can not be upgraded. it needs to be a complete install from scratch.

hope this helps, saves you money. or i could be way off and this isnt what you were looking for

Hrm, so if Vista 64 needs to be installed from scratch, will I still be able to use the key that came with the 32 bit Home Premium Upgrade, considering it's officially an upgrade copy/key?

Back