• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft vs Cisco certifications.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can also have whatever Certs you want and if you perceive that they would be a detriment in position X, just don't put them on your resume.

Yes there are background checks etc, but not having something on your resume is a good way to de-emphasize something

I definitely plan on having more than just networking certs, but as it stands right now I am getting out of the Navy and attempting to get employed soon thereafter so I need to obtain the important and pertinent certs that correlate to my desired job type... and I need to do it ASAP! If I can get an entry-level position as a network engineer then I will feel more comfortable learning new technologies and familiarizing myself with more aspects of the information system as a whole (i.e. servers, client-side). I especially agree with you, Templi, as I also aspire to go down the design track and obtain the title of network architect. This of course will come with time, but as it stands now I'm merely seeking employment in a narrow IT discipline.

Brian

Being prior service, I recommend you look into/apply at various government level jobs. Especially working for the state.

Last edited:
I've taken and passed the 70-680 and I have to say, it was by far one of the easiest exams I've taken.

Hmm..thats contrary to just about every other person out there that would rank it as a pretty tough exam. You must have a fair amount of server 2008 experience.

Hmm..thats contrary to just about every other person out there that would rank it as a pretty tough exam. You must have a fair amount of server 2008 experience.

Na that's a windows 7 cert; not a whole lot of server stuff on there other than WDS and hosted branch caching.

You mostly have to be aware of the tools used to building WinPE disks and how to capture and apply images with tools from WAIK. Some stuff on DirectAccess, BitLocker, IPv6 and Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.

I became very proficient with building WinPE disks and I've messed around with WDS, building and capturing images on my server. I was quite prepared when I took the exam; think I scored 857 or something.

I know it's a Win7 cert, but I've had a lot of people say knowing your way around server 2008 helps a lot as well. ;)

Back