• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Windows 8.1 preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

currently downloading this

has anyone else tried it? how well does it run?

im gonna buy it when it comes out btw. and order the disc 0u0.

Might be interesting to load up on a spare rig, but not on my main rig after reading this.....

Important

If you decide that you want to install Windows 8.1 Preview using the ISO, you won't be able to uninstall it. If you decide to go back to your previous operating system, you'll need to reinstall it using the recovery or installation media that came with your PC, which is typically DVD media. If you're running Windows 8 and you don't have recovery media, you might be able to create a USB recovery drive. If you're running Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP and you don’t have recovery media, you might be able to create it from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer’s website for more information. After you install Windows 8.1 Preview, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

SOURCE

Might be interesting to load up on a spare rig, but not on my main rig after reading this.....

Important

If you decide that you want to install Windows 8.1 Preview using the ISO, you won't be able to uninstall it. If you decide to go back to your previous operating system, you'll need to reinstall it using the recovery or installation media that came with your PC, which is typically DVD media. If you're running Windows 8 and you don't have recovery media, you might be able to create a USB recovery drive. If you're running Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP and you don’t have recovery media, you might be able to create it from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer’s website for more information. After you install Windows 8.1 Preview, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

SOURCE

pretty obvious. but you can dual boot if you setup windows 8.1 on a spare parition or drive. worked for me when i tried it with windows 8 last year.

EDIT: just got it installed. gonna reboot later to see if it dual boots when im done installing stuff.

Last edited:
has anyone else tried it? how well does it run?

im gonna buy it when it comes out btw.

Yes. This is more of a Service Pack for Windows 8. The preview was buggy. They have already completed the final version and it will be released through regular Windows Update process in three weeks, on October 18, 2013.
I would make a drive image of Windows 8 before updating to 8.1 just in case - the preview was very buggy, they should have fixed a lot of bugs but if anything goes wrong, be prepared with a backup image.

The Start Button on 8.1 is a button that slings you right back into Metro Tiles - it is not a real Start Button - you still need http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/ if you want to use a real Start Button and Start Menu under 8.

Gonna try this on my laptop spare HDD. laptop currently running Win 7 and I want to see how it runs Win 8.

Yes but windows 8 has no trial period like windows 7. This is a service pack for windows 8, you have to have a key to install win8, the initial installation can't complete without a key.

Yes but windows 8 has no trial period like windows 7. This is a service pack for windows 8, you have to have a key to install win8, the initial installation can't complete without a key.

I got a key in the email.

Just tested it out, runs great on my aging laptop and I installed Start8 and it replaces that fake start button like a charm. I already noticed a few bugs with it, and you can't adjust Windows effects anymore, like disabling aero and transparency?

I just installed 8.1 Professional on my SSD, and I'm loving it so far. I installed ClassShell (much to everyone's recommendation), but I don't care for it. 8.1 adds a pseudo-'start' context menu, and they fixed the search features, so that's all I really need. Runs great so far!

I just learned that 8.1 has IE 11 meaning it allows Netflix to play in HTML5 instead of that junky Silverlight, and oh my... it runs beautifully on my old laptop. This will give me a reason to flip my HTPC to Linux once HTML5 is fully implemented into Netflix (that's if it isn't tied to IE agent or whichever).

Back