• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mid range gaming build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

himanz

Hi I would like to build a computer that is mid range around for gaming. I will be using this on a 24 inch monitor. My budget is probably around the 1200-1300 range.

This will be my first ever attempt at building a computer so I will be quite a noobie at doing it lol. If you see any mistakes with my build feel free to comment on it, like compatibility issues, etc. Oh yeah, I do not intend to do a overly insane overclock, but probably a medium range (first time overclocker!).

PSU: Corsair TX650W 650W ATX 12V 52A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box (I decided to get this over the e8400 because if I get this, my entire order will have free shipping)

CPU Heatsink: Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 Heatsink *Fan Not Included* (will use Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB as the fan)

Thermal Paste: MX-2

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L ATX LGA775 P35 1333FSB 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN Motherboard

Computer Case: Coolermaster CM 690 Mid Tower Black ATX Case 5X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound Firewire & eSATA

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI Retail Box Bilingual

HD: Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS NCQ Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty

RAM: Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel

GPU: Galaxy GeForce 8800GTS 650MHZ 512MB 1.94GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out OEM Video Card

DVD Writer: Samsung SH-S203B Black SATA DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 DL 18X/12X INT DVD Writer OEM W/ Vista SW

Thanks for your time on reading and commenting on this. Also as a side note, if you want to post links on prices / good deals, I live in Canada so I cannot really buy from US stores.

Last edited:
You did just fine for a first time build. If you game only, you might consider the e8400 unless the shipping cost is actually high enough to affect your budget. A high ghz dual for gaming is potentially better than a medium quad core. But I went with the Quad as well! So its all preference I suppose, and also how long you intend to keep your computer!

The onlyl change I think I would make is you might get a small hard drive for your operating system and stuff. I find that the primary operating hard drive is more likely to crashes and you format it the most often. I use a 60gb drive for my OS and regular programs just in case something happens. When I reformat my computer I unplug my storage hd to make sure nothing gets lost and so it doesn't accidently doesn't get written over.

Really to me the only thing that you could upgrade on this would be a Raid HD system and a dual 8800GTS but your board won't take it. Take pride in this system, it is not midrange!

Good choices and welcome!

thanks for the reply, I will take each of your suggestions to heart. I plan on keeping this computer for like maybe 2-3 years. This system is also mainly for gaming and work.

Back