• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Migrating RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flux

I'm currently using the onboard RAID on my Abit AN9, but want to migrate it to a dedicated RAID card (for number of SATA ports, if nothing else). I currently have 2 arrays - a 100Gb RAID 1 (2 disks) for the OS and apps, and a 465GB RAID 5 (3 disks) for "stuff". The RAID 5 is the one I wish to move to a card, but don't know how this would work. Would I have to build a new array on the new card, or is there any way of simply plugging the disks in and using the existing array? Need to know before I commit, as I don't have enough room to store the data on the RAID 5 somewhere else...

Anyone had any experience of migrating arrays?

yes i just got done recovering a 500 gb array with runtimes raid re builder. Got every last bite cant believe it worked. If the disks arent off the same controller, they might not pop up. You could try it tho as no data is prolly written. I had to use a 750 gig external that i borrowed from a friend to hold the image of the raid array. then i rebuilt it to the disks they came from after i wiped them.

Yeah, it sucks. One Raid system is not compatible with another. Even in the same brand its not always compatible, so you always have to rebuild the array and offload the data to somewhere else, temporarily. Doesn't matter if you have the same raid levels :(

Back