• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Migrating windows 10 from a 2tb drive to a 4tb drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

So i already found the fix for this and decided i should post how i did it.

I bought a 4tb drive and wanted to migrate windows 10 from a 2tb drive to a 4tb drive.

What i did was i plugged my 2tb drive into my computer via a hard drive dock and 4tb drive directly to the motherboards sata ports although it would not matter which you use just as long as the board recognizes the drives.

Then i created a bootable flash drive image of clonezilla and had the computer boot from that flash drive. i selected a disk to disk copy option and had it copy from the 2tb drive to the 4tb drive. after confirming with clonezilla three times i wanted to do this, i waited around 2 hours for it to finish and it turned the computer off.

After that i turned the computer on and went to disk management to repartition the drive to use the entire drive image only to find that it was seeing 2TB of the drive. And after staying up all night from 1am to 7am, i found that all i have to do is shrink the main partition by a few gigabytes and then it will show the rest of the 4tb on the drive.

resized the partition to use the rest of the available space and i now had 4tb of capacity to use.

I just use Acronis True image. It automatically resizes the target drive partition, regardless of whether it is larger or smaller.

Thank you for the step-by-step on Clonezilla. I use the live cd all the time for system archives and imaging systems, but haven't messed with partition sizing yet. Good to know there's a small 'trick'.

you can do this without any 3rd party software. it's built into windows.

create system image on old hard drive using built in windows imaging
create windows recovery CD or flash drive
plug in new hard drive
boot from recovery cd/flash drive
system image recovery
restore system image to new drive
disk manager -> expand partition to take up the remaining space.

Last edited:
you can do this without any 3rd party software. it's built into windows.

create system image on old hard drive using built in windows imaging
create windows recovery CD or flash drive
plug in new hard drive
boot from recovery cd/flash drive
system image recovery
restore system image to new drive
disk manager -> expand partition to take up the remaining space.
Interesting. What version was this introduced?

Back