• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minecraft GPU vs CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DustybyrJjr

Hey guys!

So I was wondering if Minecraft FPS (or frames per second) was more affected by the CPU or the GPU.
My father (dustybyrd if you remember him from way back when (he is a senior)) thinks that the GPU is irrelevant and the CPU is the only thing that helps your FPS. I personally don't think that this is the case, but as a 14-year-old, what do i know. Please get back to me asap, as we are starting to build a new pc (purely for gaming and mostly minecraft) very soon.
My current standpoint is that we are getting a i7 CPU (overclocked at 4.6 GHz) and my old computers GPU (which gave me close to 60 fps at times) even though I want to be running a good solid 200+ fps and if possible 500 fps or higher.

Also take in note i WILL need a decent CPU for my computer as I am a content creator for youtube. Also, I know for a fact JAVA, the source that runs minecraft, will also need a good CPU to run the game correctly.

Thank you!

What GPU are you using?

You are correct, I've found Minecraft to be heavily CPU dependant, but it's not *only* cpu dependent. Depending on what CPU you were running, settings and all that the GPU could still have been the limiting factor. Any mid to high end GPU from the last few generations should get you a decent framerate, and seeing as you were getting ~60FPS before hand it should fall into that category.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there add on modules to Minecraft that significantly affect hardware demands? I don't play it myself but my grown daughter is really into it. I did some research for her with regard to hardware upgrades and people were recommending like a GTX 1060 or an AMD R7 480 for the GPU and an i5 for the CPU for good frame rates with demanding add ons.

Just a question: what is your monitor refresh rate? Keep in mind it will be your FPS cap, whatever CPU or CPU you use.

Most monitors are 60Hz (60 FPS cap), and some are 144Hz (144fps cap).

Minecraft is made with Java therefore it knows to get clunky and strange at the times. I played it on old pc with q8300 and hd 6770 4gb of ram and it ran perfectly fine 60+ fps here and there some stutter. I don't suggest anything above rx 560, gtx 1050ti and i3, r3 1300 only for minecraft, CS:GO and similar games. If you want AAA games that whole other thing.
Most of the resources it pulls from cpu and the ram over 8gb isn't needed.
Also if you screen is 60HZ then all that FPS is for nothing I doubt it you have 200hz monitor

I'd probably just go for an i5 7600K or Ryzen 1600, OC either (4.5+ for 7600k) or 3.8-3.9 on the Ryzen, and grab a GTX 1050 Ti or an AMD 570.

The GPU is not irrelevant, but the CPU matters more for Minecraft AFAIK. Any solid quad core will do the job.

I'd probably just go for an i5 7600K or Ryzen 1600, OC either (4.5+ for 7600k) or 3.8-3.9 on the Ryzen, and grab a GTX 1050 Ti or an AMD 570.

The GPU is not irrelevant, but the CPU matters more for Minecraft AFAIK. Any solid quad core will do the job.

Basicly that build could run anything. If only for Minecraft alone and few other esport games kinda waste of money. My current build can run anything more or less without issues if I run into performance issues I just reduce settings and its all fine always above 30-40 fps even GTAV while esport titles run like charm. Although I am thinking about to get r5 1500x or 1600

Okay, so Minecraft wasn't that hard to run before but it's definitely getting up there. Can almost anything boot the game? Yeah. But not everything will maintain that 60FPS threshold. Especially if he mods.

I'm assuming you want all that FPS so that you can shove a bunch of mods in there without too much of a performance hit. If that's the case, honestly an i7 or R5 1400/1500X will do you fine paired with a GTX 1060 3Gb or 6GB, the AMD equivalent of which would be the 570/580. If you plan on using shaders, you might still have a hard time maintaining a respectable frame rate. IDK how to fix that honestly, maybe a 1600 for your CPU? I wouldn't suggest using a 1070 for Minecraft, that's kind of ridiculous.

Back