• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minimum GPU you use for 1920 x 1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mycobacteria

Im considering a Dell 2407 or 2405 LCD...

Im worried that my 7950GT will not cut the cake when it comes to pumping out 1920x1200 pixels.

What GPUs are people using for the 24" LCDs these days???

What do you do with the computer? My dad has a 7900GS powering the 2407. He says there is a slight choppyness when moving his huge pictures across the screen. This is with Vista 64-bit, E6600 and 4GB of RAM so I'm sure it's the GPU. So with the 7950GT being way better than the 7900GS I'm sure it will be fine. Can't comment on gaming, though. Havn't gotten the chance to test the monitor myself. :p

ugh i have a 7900gs with a 2407 coming. Should I spend the 150 bucks to go sli or should i sell the 7900gs i have now and go for a 8800gts?

depends on the game..
Oblivion, Stalker, EQ2 -> crossfire required
Supreme Commander, WoW -> single x1900xt works fine.

oh i will try it. But I cant image that it is going to be good with what people are saying...

I am not sure ati vs nvidia. How does x1900xt compare to 7900gs?

well i remember at the time of buying the 7900gt, no card back then could match it (7900gtx was over rated for the price you're paying, i think there was more ram and higher clock speeds and ram speeds but the architecture was the same). and i was sure in the benchmarks and tests even ATI couldn't beat it. if im not mistaken the x1900xt was comparable to the 7900gtx

Mycobacteria said:

Im worried that my 7950GT will not cut the cake when it comes to pumping out 1920x1200 pixels.

it really depends on what you are going to be doing on the computer. if you are only going to be running 2d apps then your 7950gt should be fine. If you want to game at 1920x1200, i'd you can do it with the effects dropped down (depending on the game, obviously).

best thing to do is wait and test it yourself so that you don't spend extra money that you don't need to.

Joeteck said:
I would go with a Riva 128ZX 8MB card.....lol

that statement might seem funny, but like I was alluding to in my other post, it really depends on what you are doing with the computer. Any card that has DVI (not that dvi is required, but it will give the best picture) most likely will be able to push out a 1920x1200 2d image that will let you browse the internet and edit text documents just fine. If you look at the side of any retail box, you can see what image resolutions the card can display, and I'd be willing to bet that my Voodoo3 could drive that monitor just fine in 2d, with the right drivers (it can do 1680x1050 in linux but not in windows because of the drivers).

that statement might seem funny, but like I was alluding to in my other post, it really depends on what you are doing with the computer

Seconded. This is a bit different than 1920x1200, but I ran a Riva TNT (original) with 1600x1200 just fine for text, web, some video, and a few (very) select games.

If you want a graphics card that is great for office apps and 2d apps, Matrox is the one to go to. Their 2d quality is excellent, and they have multi-head display support built-in. Just don't try and play games on one.

Well I want to play games like supreme commander and the new Tibrium wars.

I want to play these games with all the effects turned up and the res at 1920 x 1200, without any problems what so ever.

Do you guys think a 7950GT can handle this?

(SPlat when we get this kind of LCD do you really think we are just goin to use it for work??) LOL

On a side note Im thinking of goin all the way to 30" with an even bigger res would the 7950GT handle this with games (I mean can that vid card even pump out the max res of a Dell 3007WFP?)

Just ask youself, if we say no, what are you going to do, get a different monitor or a new card? If it's the later, then just get the monitor and try it.

so my 7900gs gets bend over the table at 1920x1200 in dod:s

Am I going to have to get an 8800gts or gtx or can i use 7900gs sli?

Last edited:
what is dods? is that a game?

And if your havin lag with a 7900GS, I wonder how my 7950GT will fair...

TTP said:
depends on the game..
Oblivion, Stalker, EQ2 -> crossfire required
I can't agree with that as an overclocker under the assumption... who the hell does not run their XT at XTX speeds?

I can run Oblivion just fine at 1920x1080 with my 256Mb XT without lag and I never fall below 30fps(40avg, 50max).
And any well made video game should not take up a massive amount of V-RAM...
That's what Optimised mip-maps, LoD, using HLSL instead of huge amounts of geometry and textures(parallax occlusion mapping FTW!), and geometry instancing is for.

DoD:S = DayOfDefeat:Source

Mycobacteria said:

It really depends on what you are going to be doing. If you are not going to be gaming then you are fine.
If you are you want all the GPU you can get (or afford).

Viper

Back