• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mining PSUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
So I am about ready to set up a scrypt mining farm, and had an idea. I know I can get 1000-1200W PC PSUs but they are super expensive.

I was considering getting a nice high end say 350-400W to power the system up, and then grabbing some regulated 12V labratory PSUs to power the GPUs off of.

Has anyone done this before?

Is this just being stupid and cheap?

What are your thoughts people.

I use to, run a Crosair 850 and an OCZ 800watt, both i got cheap, and all i did was stay at around 700watts / 750 on the corsair, measured at the socket, and i never had any issues. I ran 5x 5870 and 1x 5850.

So I am about ready to set up a scrypt mining farm, and had an idea. I know I can get 1000-1200W PC PSUs but they are super expensive.

I was considering getting a nice high end say 350-400W to power the system up, and then grabbing some regulated 12V labratory PSUs to power the GPUs off of.

Has anyone done this before?

Is this just being stupid and cheap?

What are your thoughts people.

I don't see any issues here ssj, go for it! :thup:
I mine with that CoolerMaster I posted about over in the Bitcoin forum so if a cheap psu like that can run my rig, what you are suggesting will most defiantly do better.

Besides, you will save money doing this no?

Actually its not looking like it so much anymore. I swear I used to be able to find 1K 12V bench PSUs for around $60 but I am having a hard time finding anything over 700W and they wayyyy OP.

Actually its not looking like it so much anymore. I swear I used to be able to find 1K 12V bench PSUs for around $60 but I am having a hard time finding anything over 700W and they wayyyy OP.

That sucks :(

Maybe one will turn up for you?

Back