• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mining software summary.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok so heres a quick list of mining software, they will be discussed in detail individually.
I have excluded some miners from this list as they are out of date, or do not offer enough
platform flexibility to be considered.

BFGminer
CGminer
CudaMiner
GUIminer

---BFGminer---

BFGminer is a SHA256 miner wirtten in the C language. It supports most ASICs and does not include CPU support. BFG supports getwork and stratnum protocols as of version 3.3. It was released under the GPL-3 license. BFG is known for being slightly more stable with ASICminer branded ASICs than CGminer. It supports config file or command line paramaters, and is one of the most popular SHA256 miners around.

---CGminer---

CGminer is one of the oldest pool mining softwares around.It can run SHA256 in all versions, and versions 3.5 through 3.7.2 are the most commonly used for Scrypt algorythm. Versions above 3.7.2 no longer support GPU mining and exclusively focus on ASIC mining. IT also supports both Stratnum and getWork protocols, and is therefore compatible with almost all mining pools. CG includes support for both config file and command line paramaters.

---CUDAminer---

CUDAminer is a Scrypt only mining software which was created specifically to improve the mining efficiency of nVidia GPUs as they are notably slower at OpenCL opeations than AMD GPUs are. The latest version of this software(13-DEC-2013) brought about an improvement of aproxamately 20% over previous versions. This software supports command line paramaters, and the stratnum protocol.

---GUIminer---

GUIminer is not directly its own mining software. To best describe this software I will quote the creators website.

guiminer.org said:
GUIMiner is a graphical frontend for mining Bitcoins. It provides a convenient way to operate Bitcoin miners from a graphical interface. It supports both ATI and NVIDIA GPUs, as well as CPU mining. It supports both pooled mining and solo mining, and embeds a list of mining pools to choose from.

GUIminer comes bundled with several other mining softwares and provides a convient GUI to configure your miner with. It is compatible with both SHA256 and Scrypt. Though you will need to download GUIminer-Scrypt if you wish to use this for Scrypt coins. Both versions of this software also include stratnum proxy.

The SHA256 version of the software includes BFGminer, and CGminer. The Scrypt version of the software comes bundled with CGminer 3.7.2, CUDAminer, and reaper. reaper is an older Scrpyt mining software which is no longer under development and it is generally not as efficient as other mining software.

Much more coming soon. Haven't had as much time to wok on this as I thought. Its coming though.

Last edited:
Ok so heres a quick list of mining software, they will be discussed in detail individually.
I have excluded some miners from this list as they are out of date, or do not offer enough
platform flexibility to be considered.

BFGminer
CGminer
CudaMiner
GUIminer

---BFGminer---

BFGminer is a SHA256 miner wirtten in the C language. It supports most ASICs and does not include CPU support. BFG supports getwork and stratnum protocols as of version 3.3. It was released under the GPL-3 license. BFG is known for being slightly more stable with ASICminer branded ASICs than CGminer. It supports config file or command line paramaters, and is one of the most popular SHA256 miners around.

---CGminer---

CGminer is one of the oldest pool mining softwares around.It can run SHA256 in all versions, and versions 3.5 through 3.7.2 are the most commonly used for Scrypt algorythm. Versions above 3.7.2 no longer support GPU mining and exclusively focus on ASIC mining. IT also supports both Stratnum and getWork protocols, and is therefore compatible with almost all mining pools. CG includes support for both config file and command line paramaters.

---CUDAminer---

CUDAminer is a Scrypt only mining software which was created specifically to improve the mining efficiency of nVidia GPUs as they are notably slower at OpenCL opeations than AMD GPUs are. The latest version of this software(13-DEC-2013) brought about an improvement of aproxamately 20% over previous versions. This software supports command line paramaters, and the stratnum protocol.

---GUIminer---

GUIminer is not directly its own mining software. To best describe this software I will quote the creators website.

GUIminer comes bundled with several other mining softwares and provides a convient GUI to configure your miner with. It is compatible with both SHA256 and Scrypt. Though you will need to download GUIminer-Scrypt if you wish to use this for Scrypt coins. Both versions of this software also include stratnum proxy.

The SHA256 version of the software includes BFGminer, and CGminer. The Scrypt version of the software comes bundled with CGminer 3.7.2, CUDAminer, and reaper. reaper is an older Scrpyt mining software which is no longer under development and it is generally not as efficient as other mining software.

Much more coming soon. Haven't had as much time to wok on this as I thought. Its coming though.

Very nice summary! :thup:

But I do believe that Cudaminer support more than just Scrypt, I think it can do the same algos as cgminer so SHA-256 and others too.

I can't check for you, because the Nvidia driver is uninstalled now that I run a 6850.

The Cudaminer readme does not mention it, but I'm sure you can tell it what algo to use from the command line.

Back