• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Miny Cascade : Budget Dual 1/2hp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
img17x.jpg

img18c.jpg

img19i.jpg

img20fj.jpg

img21v.jpg

Update! Evap brazed, pick before cleaning, now cleaned up and ready to go. Then brazed on in, piped up, ready to do evvvilll. No, but ready to freeze stuff. Pressure testing, then vacuum and tuning. Let's have some fun.

You know I was thinking the otherday, it sure would rock to have the bottom of the evaporator zinc plated, For those of us that Are constantly switching between setups of PS/dice/ln2/air.

No go, zinc plating is a pain as is, but an evaporator is brazed, and to get to that level of perfect clean before plating is just not possible. I've never seen much issue with build up, and a tiny wipe here and there or a lapping makes no issue. People who bench Ln2/dice have to insulate the whole pot and thus the issue, the mounts for these insulate everything permanently except the face.

I'd like to do it, but I'd have to change my entire process.

That'd apply to most solid items. However, since we use braze which contains both phosphrous, silver, and flux, and some other filer metals, not to mention the miny layers of oxidation. It's just a no go as far as I've been told.

Not to mention having to braze it up a week or two in advance, ship it out, get it back, etc.

The improvement in cleaning is just not worth it.

Case building time.
My angle stock showed up so it was time to pump out 3 brackets for every corner, plus four for the bracer, so... 28! Fun!
Setup the mill/drill and made my drills for the first four, then to the band saw to cut perfectly square cuts (or as close as plausible).

Success!
Cost of angle stock? $7. Cost of a bracket, $2.55. Amount saved? About $60 for a few hours labor.

img22o.jpg

img23nj.jpg

img24e.jpg

So the base, nicely assembled, squared out, and then filed some edges. Beautiful. Even mounted some epic 1" thick rubber feet. This won't shake any tables. Then time for the tense moment, the transfer. The big shibang. Now I wish I had Richard still around, but this was going to be an "on your own attempt". And two rotarys made it a bit of a lift.

img28r.jpg

img29g.jpg

It survives!

img30o.jpg

MMmmmmm pretty.

We have ice. High side of 65 psi with r23 straight... interesting.
Will test load before going to r1150. Also need to heavily increase charge in first stage. But boy do these roto's run hot.

img31t.jpg

img32b.jpg

img33w.jpg

i would love to purchase a smaller version of this, something nice a quiet and simple yet effective at cooling my SIG rig, would be the perfect add-on to my zombie computer.

A smaller version of this would literally just be a single stage, this is a smaller version of a cascade.

And you can't really get quite with a compressor running. I mean there are quiet(er) ones, but quiet and phase change don't typically go together. :chair:

Looks great, NoL. Looking forward to seeing it in action this weekend.

Absolutely, you are coming out to Philly?
I need to get all the info on that.

For anyone still reading this, be prepared for awesomeness update later.

Spoiler: -81C and counting ;)

Absolutely, you are coming out to Philly?
I need to get all the info on that.

I'll be there. May need to try it on my 2600k if the chip looks promising. There is a thread in the public benching section that has all the information you'll need. :thup:

Needs some 5.9ghz SB running wprime as a load :D

IIRC, he uses a 300watt load when he tests. However, this might just be Evap temp. If the stages are tuned and charged right (which NoL does), then it won't really show too much difference under load and unloaded. :thup:

Back