• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Missing some sound effects in some games...can't figure out why!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oldmangamer

I just reinstalled Everquest and notice that the game skips playing some sounds. Most obvious is when I try to cast two spells in a row. The second spell just doesn't trigger the sound effect.

I played in December on the same machine and didn't have this problem. The only new component is an upgrade to my video card from a gtx970 to a 1070ti.

Thinking about it I remember when I played on a WoW private server, that game would skip playing sounds also, if they came back to back right away. Not sure if these problems are related or not.

Anyway it is driving me nuts.

The problem persists whether I run my speakers through my Creative Audigy Sound Card, or if i use the Realtech on board sound on my MSI motherboard. It also persists if I am using my headphones. I use a TV for a monitor and the problem is the same with just using the TV sound.

I have tried settings like 5.1, stereo, and headphones.

I have tried uninstalling the hardware and then reinstalling it and have also made sure the drivers are up to date. I have also tried running with just the windows drivers.

Nothing fixes the problem.

Of course I tried goofing around with all the game settings I could, but they are fairly limited. Poked around in the .ini and .cfg files also, but didn't see anything useful.

My setup is about a year old. I have an MSI M5 gaming mobo, Intel 3.6 I5 8600k, and a Creative Audigy FX sound card. I am running Windows 10 with the latest updates installed.

I honestly thought this was going to be easy to fix, but can't figure out the problem for the life of me. Also, I would not that looking through the EQ forums and doing google searchs that this does not seem to be a wide spread or common problem. I have seen a couple of people with a similar issues, but by and large it seems most people don't have any sound problems at all.

I am assuming the problems between EQ and the Wow private server are related, but they may well not be, because EQ was working fine just in December.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am about out.

Thanks!!

:welcome:
To me, this sounds like one or more pieces of hardware are being overloaded. For fun, try dialing back the video settings to see if that doesn't resolve the issue. My thought is that the game is spiking the CPU or GPU and stutters the command to activate another sound file.

Also, make sure that you have updated all drivers for the sound card, video card and motherboard chipset.

Additionally, check for virus' and shut down any programs not needed.

Finally, check for dust in your CPU cooler and clean if needed. Maybe the CPU is being throttled?

Thank you for the reply Don. All drivers are up to date. I am diligent about virus and spyware protection. But I do have a high overclock going...5.0 on a 3.6 ghz chip. The build is fairly recent and I have a good cooler, Cryorig H5 (which is awesome by the way). That is a really good idea about throttling things back. I am definitely going to try it and will report back.

Now that I think about it, my PSU is 5 years old too. It is an Antec 750 pure power, so should be plenty of juice, but maybe between the high OC and the new video card?

Thanks much!! Will let you know how it goes.

did you look into your windows audio settings? make sure its stereo if using a headset, if not your computer is trying to send audio through different ports for center and rear speakers so you will be missing a bunch of audio in that way.

though it seems like you've tried that that's the only thing that comes to mind for me. might try using onboard audio and see if the problem persists.

did you look into your windows audio settings? make sure its stereo if using a headset, if not your computer is trying to send audio through different ports for center and rear speakers so you will be missing a bunch of audio in that way.

though it seems like you've tried that that's the only thing that comes to mind for me. might try using onboard audio and see if the problem persists.

Yes I tried switching all of those settings around. Also tried dropping the game settings down but no difference. The temps on the overclock are all really good under load so not sure if that could be the issue.

Not really worth investing anymore time into goofing around with.

Thanks much for the suggestions guys!

Back