• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Missing 'winsrv' dll file in 2k at boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

videobruce

Running 2k w/sp4 on a Laptop I get a stop error that winsrv.dll is missing. This is on a fresh install of the O/S.
This is not XP with that sp2 issue that I have seen, but 2k and I tried to reload the O/S twice, but still get the error about the missing file.
I don't know if it is actually missing or the path was changed and it wasn't repaired when the O/S was reloaded. I never used Recovery Console before and I didn't make a recovery disk when I loaded the O/S so those two options are out.

Any ideas other than another fresh install?

If klingens suggestion doesn't work for you...uninstall the KB824141 Update using Add/Remove Programs (if you can boot to the desktop). If you can't make it to the desktop, boot to the Recovery Console, change to the \WINNT\$NtUninstallKB824141$\spuninst directory...and run the following command:

batch spuninst.bat

This removes the update KB824141 and reinstalls the old files which were replaced by KB824141. This restore includes WINSRV.DLL (as well as other critical kernel files like kernel32.dll, gdi32.dll, user32.dll, userenv.dll, msgina.dll, basesrv.dll, and sp3res.dll).

Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229716

How to Retrieve One Page Text Files in the Recovery Console by Using the Batch Command
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243067 ...(If the spuninst.bat file doesn't exist, the file will have to be copied from spuninst.txt in the same directory)

Last edited:
I don't know how to copy a file in DOS and I didn't install any update. I also never used the Recovery Console. I really don't like DOS. I feel more at home in the registry!
SP4 was slipstreamed into the install CD as I have done for some time.

I just re-installed the O/S.

Back