• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mission Impossible: soldering on busted off pin on a Opty CABNE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah! I used the fine file on my leatherman and I got the staple down to the same thickness. I think it'll be easier to solder with the staple. But I have to wait before I solder it.

Maybe a few more swipes?

Attachments

• DSCF0814 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0814 (Small).JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 647
Well here's an idea if you can't find that pin, or even if you can:

Find a diagram for the CPU's (s939) pin assignments, for all we know the pin may not even do anything (as do many others IIRC)

The solder is not sticking. Looks good with the clamp...but when I try to remove it the pin falls.

Attachments

• DSCF0816 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0816 (Small).JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 629
I don't have any more ideas. I guess I'll box it up and ship it back to Nate...

It will fit in the socket...maybe it will work

krag, i think its an issue of the metal its made of. im sure that the staple is mostly steel, which doesnt solder well at all. try it with some solid copper wire, im sure you'll have much better luck there.

I am waiting to hear the fate of a celly 1.8 we just replaced at work, if the woman wants to keep it or jsut have us toss it. if she does let us keep / toss it, i would love to try this (soldering on a pin) on it, it looks like a lovely challenge, and if i can pull it off it may make some good guide material, if i can any decent pics with the broken LCD on my camera. or maybe brian will have a macro lense for his D70, and i could get him to get some pics for me, i dunno.

i thought about trying on a P1 i have here jsut for an initial try, and something to do but i dont have any decent work area in here right now, its such a mess.

but i think you need some copper wire to use. hve any cat5 around? some to be sacrificed? thats a common thing and is usually solid copper, except for the extremely cheap stuff. if you have the crimpers and a spare end you could always chop off a short length of it (youll get 8 times the length you cutoff, remember that) and then you can put on a new end and nobody would notice anytihng different lol. then youll have a length of copper wire to use and the solder should stick like magic.

editL i just hope that the pad from the old pin wasnt heated too long and possibly burnt traces inside the cpu, as that would probably be quite a bad thing.

how well did the solder take to the remnants of the pin?

can you try with copper? maybe a piece of solid strand wire? are you heating it and letting the solder flow down and around the contact?

Put a thicker guage wire in the appropriate hole in the mobo (make sure it's long enough to bottom out and still stick out of the socket) and let the force of the chip hold it in place. As long as you are careful and pick the right size wire (maybe from an older generation of chip with wider pins, P-pro perhaps?) you should be able to make it work. Just don't jostle the case and clamp down the sink like there's no tomorrow!

Do you have something along the lines of a capacitor or some sort lying around? The leg from one would probably work quite well. Good luck. I just finished re-capping a Gigabyte GA-7IXEH. (8) 330uF 25V, (1) 1200uF 6.3V caps replaced total. Just have to stick in my Duron to test it out. Now I'm going to start on my Epox 8khal+. Take care, and good luck!

- Jim

If this were mine, I'd flatten the pin and flatten the part on the chip, and make them touch and glue it. If you have a dead CPU around you could take a pin from it. A mini pair of vice-grips with tape as padding on the teeth, would hold that pin in place.

I have that Stanley screwdriver kit too.

@ 4875, yeah, I thought about that too, but thought it was worth a try

@ crimedog , no not yet, I havent' found any thick copper wire around

@ eobard, I think that would work out too...I have used a similar method v-core modding Xeon duallies.

@ Aphex_Tom_9, no, I am not. It might just work without it

@ ThePCGuy, nice idae, I just looked at my potentmeters I have and the legs are very thick...too thick for this

THanks for your input fellas!

Should I give up and send it back to Nate???

i think the eobard way would produce a working end result, since the pin isnt handling much current. I did something similar when a pin got ripped out of a DVD burner. i dont know how it happened, i just came in to work one day and had it sitting on my desk and they told me i needed to fix it. i just dont know if the contact will be good enough for cpu data.

krag, i really appreciate what you are doing and if u get a pin on there i would be even happier. although I understand that you are busy and if u cant try the one last thing with the copper wire and the other things mentioned, thats OK. But I would reimburse u for the copper wire and as i said im sending u a nice THANK YOU package as well :)

Thats the name of a forum member up top that replied with an idea to help fix your processor.

- Jim

Last time I checked I was a moderator here, who used to moderate this section at one point even, oh wait I still do!!

As for jamming a thicker pin in as I suggested I have heard of people successfully doing it in the past but haven't had the need to try myself yet, so I can say for a fact it will work if done right.

Much props to krag for going well beyond the call of duty. :thup:

there are pin-resoldering services online that don't cost a lot

and also, why don't you try out what eobard said?

_

Can you give me an aproximate thickness of the pin? I've got litterally thousands of electronic components at this house I'm pretty sure I can find something close enough and I'll just post it to you in a regular envalope, only what 32 cents or something. I don't care my parrents currently pay for stamps :rolleyes:
And as to the staple. Staples are steel and do not like to solder.

Heh! Whats an eobard? :p

Thanks for the props fellas and back at you all...there is no other forum like this one on the web eeeh?

Nate, I will try the copper wire, I have some thicker stuff around, I just need to find it.

Back