• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mission Impossible: soldering on busted off pin on a Opty CABNE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
El<(')>Maxi said:
Hey Krag, how does your 4800 do on LS?

Not o good...only does 2,880 on zee phase. I sold it on ebay last week. I have a FX-57 here with no IHS waiting for my DFI Expert to get back from Monarch...psssst!...don't let SSS know that I am on my Intel test rig...He would mock me into my grave. :)

I just got the Pentium chip delivered. Here is a shot of the pins side by side.

Attachments

• DSCF0822 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0822 (Small).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 589
The pins are quite a bit thicker on the Pentium. I wish I had a 939 socket mobo to see if they will fit.

What do you guys think?

I think it looks easier to solder a pin on the old pentium then that opty....

Pins look almost too big but.... :shrug:

Best of luck...

it looks like they'll be a tight fit. anyone know of a dead smaller cpu like a p4 or amd chip, if one has died. it looks like if you heat them with a soldering iron the pins will fall right off.

four4875 said:
it looks like they'll be a tight fit. anyone know of a dead smaller cpu like a p4 or amd chip, if one has died. it looks like if you heat them with a soldering iron the pins will fall right off.

The pins go deeper into the substrate. They have a root thats proly a 1/16th of an inch.

crappy pic....

Attachments

• DSCF0826 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0826 (Small).JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 471
I'll clip one off my FX-57 and see if I get a higher overclock, then send it to you :D

Intel :shrug:

Hey if it's a 955XE it's OK by me ;)

How am I gonna measure the thickness? I do not have a micrometer. There is no way for me to measure 100ths of an inch. I can get the highth but not the thickness which seems to be the most important part.

ive done the "oebards style" in my P4 before and it worked.. i used a strand from an appliance (stranded) wire...

Jojo1971 said:
ive done the "oebards style" in my P4 before and it worked.. i used a strand from an appliance (stranded) wire...
That's all well and good, but who the hell is "oebard"?

First, The desk acctually did come from a lab, just a computer lab instead of something like a chem lab. And, unfortunatly I was unable to find an exact replacment for the pin. However, I did find a connector thats a mear 1/10th of a mm off from what it should be and they have a wider part at the bottem. They seem to be a perfect replacment with a tiny bit of work. I'll be happy to post a few pins off at a time (the connector has plunty) via regular mail. I think I'll have a PM in a bit ;)

that sucks, i was hoping the chip would help.

can anybody confirm if the socket a pins are the same as socket 939's?

Beginner said:
that sucks, i was hoping the chip would help.

can anybody confirm if the socket a pins are the same as socket 939's?
i dont think they are. look at the package size of a 462 vs a 939...

Beginner said:
:( how about some speaker wire?

I looked at all of my speaker wire and its to thin...multi-strands all twisted together.

Back