• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mixing memory brands in same system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

domjam

I dont no much about memory but basicly iv got a new system now with 2x8gigs of 1600mhz corsair vengance at 10-10-10-27 and left over from my old system I still have 2x2 gigs of kinston hyperx memory that has an overclock speed of 2000mhz but allso can be run at 1600 at 9.9.9.24 is it worth trying to adjust my 16gigs to the same timing as the kingstons and using them all in my new system?would i be able to leave the timings alone and jut add them or is that a bad idea?whats the worst that could happen if i tryd to do this and would i benafit from havng 20 gigs rather then 16gigs? meny thanks

The worst that could happen is it won't work which is doubtful. If your mobo is rated for 20G then what will likely happen is the Kingston will default to looser timings. As to there being a benefit of 20 over 16gb not unless your doing extremely memory heavy work.

ah ok do u no if i would have to redo an overclock with them or would i just be able to apply them to my current overclock?

Last edited:
I cannot see a good reason to throw 4 gigs across two sticks into an overclocked system and have two sticks then that will be working and reporting their information to the cpu more quickly than the 2 by 8 gig sticks. There will always be some electrical delay that the cpu and memory controller will have to accomodate when using that mis-matched memory setup.

ok thanks for that.na i wont bother buying more it was just since i had them left over from my last system i thought i could use them. i allready got the 16 gigs with my new rig setup.:)

I mixed two memory banks for my laptop (one stock + one aftermarket) and even though they had a 99% similar spec, they are actually not the same. You should always try and go for a matching set.

I have mixed memory a couple times recently. The first time was about 2 years ago I was running 8 GB of GSkill 1066 (don't remember the CL but this stuff was SLOW- noticable scroll stutter in games- etc) and went out and upgraded to 4 GB of Corsair XM3 2000 Mhz, stuff which would max out at around ~1800 Mhz 9 Cl with my AMD 555 system at the time. I tinkered around with putting all 12 GB in and it would pull the faster Corsair down to the level of the GSkill. I ran the Corsair by itself other than just goofing. Then about a year ago I heard about the SAMSUNG 30 nm RAM and got 8 GB of it ($38!) and messed around running it with my other 4 GB of Corsair, and to my surprise when I mixed the two the Corsair ran faster than I was ever able to see running it by itself, but still quite a bit slower than I could tune out of the SAMSUNGs. In general I have to say I agree with most of the posts here that say it isn't a good idea to mix RAM if you have another option, but you never know so experimenting might be worth while.

Back