• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Different frequency memory in the same rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander89

Hey All

Aint posted in a while but I wanted to ask a very basic question.

I managed to bugger one of the modules of my corsair XMS 2000 memory and since I bought the kit its gone up from around £65 to £90 :s. I very blatantly managed to drop a tone of thermal past on the top of the memory and it seeped in between the heatsink and since then it just won’t allow me to boot with it in, so I wont be able to return it.

I would ideally like to save the cash and get the 1600mhz version to replace it but I wanted to know how bad of an idea that is. I have run separate type of memory in a rig before and it cause some issues. These are the same brand, and from what I can see very similar modules. I currently run my ram at 1866mhz because my mobo doesn’t allow for exactly 2000mhz and anything over causes my rig not to boot.

Long story short, would it be alright to put the 1600mhz modules alongside the 2000mhz ones, provides say I downclocked the 2000 from 1866 to 1600 ot even OC’d the 1600 to the same feq as the 2000 ones?

Cheers :thup:

Xander

You'd have to slow down to the slowest stick specs, then give it a little extra voltage over the rating.

I recommend getting matching sticks, as I've seen mismatching cause stability issues.

You'd have to slow down to the slowest stick specs, then give it a little extra voltage over the rating.

I recommend getting matching sticks, as I've seen mismatching cause stability issues.

This is the thing, same here, but I just don’t know how different these modules actually are. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same module just one with bumped up frequencies. Erg, will probs just have to get the same set, its just very frustrating considering is nearl £100 now. grrrr

This is the thing, same here, but I just don’t know how different these modules actually are. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same module just one with bumped up frequencies. Erg, will probs just have to get the same set, its just very frustrating considering is nearl £100 now. grrrr

It's very likely different ICs... They follow specs very closely with memory.
Even sticks of the same brand/model/speed/timing/voltage can be different ICs.

Corsair is manufacturing memory on probably every available IC so there is really low chance to get the same IC in memory bought in different time.
2000 9-9-9 kits were probably on Elpida or PSC. I just don't remember any other IC at similar timings ( you can check rev. number on the label and compare to IC list on Corsair site ).
Still it's better just sell all that memory and buy one new kit of 2x4GB 1866 or 2133.

tbh getting another 8gb of 1866mhz mem isn't really worth is as my current ram is already running at that speed. i should just stop being a wus and just fork out the cash. I dont really need it, just annoying that one of my ram sticks is dead. I suppose i could try and find a single 4 gb stick of the same memory somewhere and just slap that in.

It can be hard to find one more the same stick as IC will be probably different.

Back