• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing memory modules?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I have 2x2GB crucial ram in my server and I want to add another kit. But the one I bought seems to be sold out everywhere. I'm thinking about getting a kit that's rated at a higher speed but with higher latency. Am I likely to run into problems? I could also get another brand with the same speed/latency

There are guys on here with better memory knowledge, but this much I do know: don't mix speeds and latencies. Your system will not like you and will object to your relationship. :D

With memory prices having drastically come down... would probably be less of a headache to just get a kit with your desired capacity and replacing your currrent 2x2GB than trying to find a set that will work with them.

With memory prices having drastically come down... would probably be less of a headache to just get a kit with your desired capacity and replacing your currrent 2x2GB than trying to find a set that will work with them.

As it turns out... I forgot the motherboard only has two memory slots so the extra kit I bought is useless. YAY!

Back