• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MMO's Coming Out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
El-Scotto said:
I've heard the quests were rather boring tho *shrug*

When the game first came out there wasn't much high level content and people raced to 50 were there wasn't a lot to do, but with patches and the expansions its much better. Its quite like EQ with out a lot of the hassles, not as much PvE content and with RvR (PvP).

It was fun for a while. Although, the whole EQ/clone thing bores me to death now. Actually, the whole leveling treadmill bores me to death, which is the core of all MMORPGs right now, skill or level based. Skill based games are a lot more interesting though. I'd like to see a nice 3d UO clone. AC1's PvP server seems A LOT like what UO players describe when talking about the good ol' days of UO.

Horizons is looking very good - release date is 12/9/03. I've been an EQ player for over 2 years, and as a first MMORPG you cant go wrong. You can get all the expansions except the very last one just out (lost dungeons of norrath) for $30, and i think it provides a very large and stable world to play in.

Im switching to Horizons though because i like the way trade skills and so on have been designed, and it will be fun to get in at the beginning of a MMO world hehe.

I wouldnt be surprised if Horizons didnt make that release date...and if they do ship it by then....well i think itll be too early from what i have heard about the game.

I would advise against some1 just getting EQ and starting from scratch now, its very difficult if you dont know anyone there...i know from experience :\

AGampher said:

Ultima Online???

Sorry i wasnt clear, i meant EQ would be a good first MMO for someone :)

As far as starting on EQ, i think it does depend on the server, and just like any of the MMOs, you can have good or bad experiences that can put you off a certain one for life. I highly recommend Firiona Vie as a EQ server - i've always found everyone very friendly there.

I forget what server I was on but every person I did meet and talk to were very nice, but it didnt change the fact that the game was a group game and there werent many low levels around. Also some people weree wary about helping becuase they thought it was a scam to get items and what not, and i know that is a problem so that didnt really bother me. If EQ werent so old id prolly give it another shot, but ill just wait for the next generation of MMO's to come out instead

OC Noob said:
I'd like to see a nice 3d UO clone. AC1's PvP server seems A LOT like what UO players describe when talking about the good ol' days of UO.

Hells yeah dude...they supposedly have one coming out that is just like UO Pre-Renaissance. That would be so ownage...i forgot the name of it though.

trinketsummoner said:
Sorry i wasnt clear, i meant EQ would be a good first MMO for someone :)

Actually, most ppl ive played UO with despises EQ.

heh Ultima X is coming out although i dont think thats anything like the original UO

it was so close to beta too, or at least i think it was....too long ago :p *sigh* waiting for WoW but we all know how blizzard is, that game wont be out before 2006 :p

Yeah, WoW looks promising...and thats coming from a very picky MMO player! As long as its not like any of these stupid MMO's/RPG's out right now and has good PvP (cept UO or D2) then it will be great. I live for pvp :p

yea looks great my only problem with it is horde and alliance cant group...but i guess that makes sense :p

Amino said:
It's going to be like EQ. It's gonna have leveling rather than skill pumping.

Which one? Level based stinks. Skill based is so much more interesting...well, unless its a skill tree like AC2.

Dang lots of replies :) After looking at all this looks like WoW and EQ2 is on my list to try out. I know I tried EQ for a month then dropped out. Was my first and tried doing stuff but no one was willing to help out which sucked. DAoC and EVE i started right when it came out and was great. Only played DAoC for about 2 months then school interfered. Played EVE for 4 months then I said I was an addicit and had to work more and study more for school because my grades decided to drop a bit :D go figure.

Now if anyone of yea have tried out EVE its skill based. You have to buy the skills then you train them to levels. It takes a set amount of time depending on certain stats of your character but the real cool part is that you can train them when your offline. I liked that because some skills took a week+ and even some of the basic skills took 1 month to finish. It really makes it intresting to have a skill based system which I enjoyed much more then the leveling craze.

If they upgraded AC1 with AC2 graphics and fixed some of the exploits that game would own all :p

Back