• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobile bartons with XP-TMC adapters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tkotitan

Registered
I'm upgrading my aging Tyan s2460 motherboard to get the most out of my mobile barton cpus, Athlon XP-M 2600+, 133fsb, 16x multiplier 2.13ghz, 1.45v. I managed to find a very rare Iwill MPX2 to overclock them, the best dual socket A mobo, latest revision. But, I have a problem, the board doesn't support multiplier adjustments.

The guy is sending me 2 xp-tmc adapters along with the board, i decided i'd see if i need them or not but took them as part of the rare mobo deal. So my question is directed at people who know or have used the XP-TMC adapters, particularly with mobile socket A chips. I also have a question about u-wiring socket A mobile bartons.

My CPUs post on my current mobo as 800mhz. This is fine, I can crank them up to the standard 2.13 using crystal cpuid to adjust the multiplier from 6 to 16. However, i'd prefer if they post at full speed and here's why: certain programs try to sync to the post speed of the cpus, an example is Warcraft 3 will warp madly and become unplayable at full speeds, another is the ATI MMC will see slower CPUs and make me use lower capture settings, and not run at all when not at POST speeds. So i want my post speed to be my full speed overclocked. I can adjust voltage and fsb in BIOS but not multiplier. I assume i'll oc by fsb.

So I'm wondering mainly how XP-TMC adapters allow me to change the multiplier. I've tried to figure it out from the companies website, but it doesn't say, not even the tomshardware article out there says. Is it through software/hardware/BIOS that I adjust the multi? It seems BIOS and/or software.

If that is the case, I would need to u-wire my CPUs to not default to 6x multi, but rather the 16x multi, and i don't know how to do this with mobile bartons, and any info would be appreciated. I've u-wired opterons before, but not athlons. I know the simple approaches to overclocking athlons, but not the details, i need some verteran advice on it.

And most importantly, IF i u-wire, I want my multiplier to be 16x at post but adjustable with crystal cpuid, at least downwards. The key here for me is low power mode. I really like the fact that right now I can run my cpus as low as 4x multi and surf the web and download overnight just fine, but be able to crank cpus to full speed for games. So if if I use the XP-TMC and/or a u-wire, I have to be able to lower my multiplier, and maybe voltage as well, with crystal CPUID or some similar app.

Thanks for any info.

Back