• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo Advice (cheap build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paffendorf

Ive got a couple of old CPUs that are fully functional (Athlon 64 X2 5200) that I replaced with Athlon Phenom 965BE's. Id like to use these two Athlon 64 X2 5200's in a couple home file servers, you know, a cheap build.

Im looking at two motherboards and cant decide which (if any) will work with these CPUs. They are:

MSI 760GM-P34(FX) AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

ASRock N68C-GS FX AM3+ NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Could anyone make a suggestion? Ive got 2 XFX Radeon 4850's also and these will serve as video cards for these servers, although, I know there not needed but since I have them, might as well put use to them.

Thanks!

well, file servers usually are running 24/7, you do not want waste money on energy consumption
caused by additional VGA cards. Use the on-board VGA.

The MSI board will not run your X2 5200+, that is an AM3+ board.

The Asrock will, as is supports both AM2 w.DDR2 and AM3 w.DDR3 RAM.

You need to look for AM2 or AM2+ boards that support DDR2 type RAM.

This would be a good choice :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157274

but arent amd boards backwards compatible with older chips?

Unless expressly stated (like the one linked above), I don't know that they are all backward compatible. You will have a pretty good chance of finding one which does AM2 and AM3, though. Since it's just a piece-together build, I would take a look on eBay or classifieds to see what's cheap. And don't forget to get one with enough Sata ports ;)

If the board doesn't have onboard graphics, you will need some dedicated gpu in order to boot the machine, even if you run it without a monitor using teamviewer or some other app. You don't, however, have to plug in the extra power connectors to the card (if you aren't using it). As long as it's plugged into the motherboard, the computer will boot. I'm not sure if this actually draws less power, but I do know that it works.

but arent amd boards backwards compatible with older chips?
Thats what I was thinking. However, I already have the memory which is DDR3 1600. As far as the video card, yeah, good point, Ill just use the onboard video.

Also, the ASRock A785GM-LE AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G is about $15 more than then ASRock N68C-GS FX AM3+ NVIDIA GeForce 7025

You need to just look at the motherboards more carefully and see what the specifications are...Some Motherboards are also more "Windows" specific, just read and you'll find what you need for each...it's not too complicated! Newegg is a good place to look and find great specifications...

Back