• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo damaged by ESD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

northenosprey02

I have much old mobo, but when I test them it won't turn on. After I unplug PSU for 30 second I plug them and the fan spinning then turned off, I push the power button it won't turn on. Is the mobo damaged by ESD? I don't have more education about ESD because I put mobo on opened case and table. :facepalm:

I can give you a definite maybe. Motherboards are sensitive electronic devices, and can be damaged by many things. In a no boot situation, you have to try lots of combinations to be sure that the motherboard is actually the faulty component (strip it down to just the board, CPU, one stick of memory, then swap all of those components with known good ones). Handling a bare motherboard is always risky; storing it without putting it into an anti static bag makes ESD damage likely. But even then it isn't a sure thing, and ESD isn't always fatal. Most of the time it's subtle, and can make components unreliable.

Last Fall I was given a computer to repair by a relative. He included an old Abit NF7 motherboard, and an Nvidia 6800 AGP card in a box without mentioning them. I guess he thought I might be able to use them (and he was right, they are in a computer at work now). They weren't in anti static bags, so I was a pretty dubious about them. But I put them in a case, and they fired right up.

I have much old mobo, but when I test them it won't turn on. After I unplug PSU for 30 second I plug them and the fan spinning then turned off, I push the power button it won't turn on. Is the mobo damaged by ESD? I don't have more education about ESD because I put mobo on opened case and table. :facepalm:

Do you have another known working PSU you can try first? Once you're sure that it's not a PSU issue, do what Repo Man suggested on simplifying and swapping out components to drill down to the core issue.

I had the other PSU but no fan because I get them for another purpose (because the fan really good).

My old ASRock G PRO can turned on but it won't POST. I put some working processor and RAM but same.

The ECS 661GX-M2 won't turn on even plugged.

So POST diagnostic card can help this?

I had the other PSU but no fan because I get them for another purpose (because the fan really good).

My old ASRock G PRO can turned on but it won't POST. I put some working processor and RAM but same.

The ECS 661GX-M2 won't turn on even plugged.

So POST diagnostic card can help this?
If I'm reading this correctly, you have two boards that you can't get working with the same PSU? Sounds to be the likely culprit.

Back