• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo jumper problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sorta weird, but i have seen a cmos clear cause the computer TO boot, but i wasnt supposed to keep power on when messing with it :-( so i am supposed to cut all power via the wall or psu switch.
still not enough info.
how the heck do you stay overclocked if you have the clear jumper on?

what have you done to the computer?
is this new build? old build recent upgrade?
what all did you move change or adjust when doing this upgrade?

i suspect your power for some strange reason yet unknown :)

Lol,
it's not my own build i bought it in the store..
But i can chanche the bios and after rebooting it still has same settings
So it's kinda weird when having jumper on clear .:S
only messed witht he fsb and cpu-nb and cpu-cpu ht link :S trying to have everything of the mobo for 1hr now and see what happends
:)

that just aint right, :) i hope you wrote down the settings you have aquired so far.

here is things i might try:
Shut the power off completly
check the lithium coin cell battery and socket, then pull off all the front case connectors, and other pin-in connections like usb and firewire , WHY? because they could be wrong, and the other stuff is less likly to be , like its hard to jam a video card in the wrong slot :) it is easy to mix up the case connectors.

check that all the power connections that go to the motherboard are right.
Shut the power off completly (pull it from the wall if you have to) then move the jumper back, and power back-up

now instead of having the power switch connected (because you cant do the test with it connected) do the short it out trick with a wire or paperclip across the 2 power switch pins on the pin-in connector.
that would be pins 6&8 the top row next to the no-pin , according to your manuel.

Last edited:
i don't get it
So i have to unplug all cables to my motherboard etc?
THen plug them in again with jumper on position 1 and 2? And give the power back up?

Wait, did it work FINE bofore you overclocked? because you didnt say that, and i missed thinking that way.

have to, no, i wouldnt want you to do something you dont want to do.
but that is what i would do, replace the stock battery , check the battery socket connections, then tear out all the junk the assemblers connected , because why trust them at this point :)

then leave the case connetors OFF and make the connection to the Power switch to power up manually, without them.

BUT if this is how you achived an overclock :) and not a problem you have running the computer normally, then i can just delete everything i said.

It did work fine before i oced..
But the quietice told me to adjust the cpu-nb ht link speed and cpu-cpu link speed in bios
but didn't work so i resetted bios
but after that it wouldn't start with jumper on pins 1,2
So i have to buy a new lithium battery?
Because it may be damaged?
Thanks for helping me really need it

OHHHH, so then i retract everything :) because that is 100% different.

you overclocked, then ran a reset, and cant get things going again even after the reset.
so now i am lost, brain fry . . .

so the real question then is why are you powerd up with it on 2-3 when your manuel says dont :)
ummm, now what. do you happen to have a voltmeter to check the battery?
IF it has anything to do with the battery , then those types of batteries will recover given time.

so this would be the new "improved" advice.
power off completly, all power off the motherboard, not just turned off
switch the jumper back to NORMAL, WAIT some time
then plug it back in, and power back on.

or alternativly if you can check with a voltmeter the battery and see if it shows about 3.0v
alternativly set it back to normal unplug it and when you wake up in the morning try again.

i've got a volt meter.
And i tried turned on because a guide said me to and i found it working with jumpers on 2 and 3 which is actually kinda dumb.
But i'll take my volt meter to check the voltage of the battery:)
It says 3.139 v

jumper not working on normal:S

ok battery good
that leaves nagging manuel statement that the board could be Damaged :shock: if it was powered with it in the clear position. (which i have never actually seen occur, but avoid like a plauge)

leaving remove the battery, and see if you can get something to work, put battery back and see again.
PLUS
any changes that you made to the system when it was working , retract, like if you had since added more memory stick items

only changed bios.
But when i start it up on pins 2 and 3 it gives a good beep and actually loads!:S
Btw i had all the cables plugged of and still not working..:S

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658223
i find the original thread, which TRENT indicated that there exists motherboard manuels that have the pin points labeled incorrectally.

if you look really close on the motherboard "screening" (the paint job) does it provide any indication as to what is clear and not?
if you look on the motherboard itself did they paint in what the pin #s are at least Pin #1?

are you Really getting everything being SAVED proper in the bios with it in this position? or do you lose your settings each boot?

now i wish i never followed quietice his advice of chanching cpu-nb etc.
There was the point wen it went wrong;S

Tried unplugging everything left lithium battery out etc. etc.
Still no screen only problem is i get no screen or keyboard reaction:S pc will run...
Is it posibble i fried my bios?
But how the could i run my pc with pins 2,3 ..

you cant :)

i tried to find out if any OTHER person with that board have jumper problems

and i just get this which is PAR

Verify that the CMOS jumper is set correctly. Clear CMOS jumper (normally JBAT1) must be set to “Keep settings” to allow the system to POST If JBAT1 is set to “clear CMOS” position the motherboard will not power on or post •On most MSI motherboards you will set JBAT1 as listed below •JBAT1 pins 1-2 Keep settings •JBAT1 pins 2-3 Clear CMOS settings •Verify the correct setting for your motherboard in manual as the correct setting may vary from model to model

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:GqiaEs7SyLUJ:us.msi.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp+MSI+7646+jumper&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&lr=lang_en

and no reason to believe that the manuel is wrong, or understand how you can get better booting with it wrong.

so what about the INFO on the motherboard ITSELF? did you find anything?

Last edited:
There was nothing which said clear or keep settings w/e..
But it does actually boot with jumper on 2,3 .. should i check if i keep settings with the jumper on pins 2 and 3?

Booted with jumper on 2 and 3 first time pressing thebutton it runs for 10 secs
then pressing again will boot the pc and my screens turn on..:S!!
And it remembers everything:S

There was nothing which said clear or keep settings w/e..
But it does actually boot with jumper on 2,3 .. should i check if i keep settings with the jumper on pins 2 and 3?

I would think that you know if it saves settings on 2-3 by now?

i dont think you have anything to lose by trying, and i dont think that you really did anything that others wouldnt have tried to get it working.
like i said i have never seen a motherboard go belly-up from messing with the jumpers LIVE. but if it did, then the damage is probably done :shrug:

Back