• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo need grounding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenko

I have a spare mobo,cpu,ram,video card,psu but no case and it wont boot up, it used to do you think the mobo might need grounding through the case to psu?

what are you trying to do with it, test to make sure it still works? I think if you connect everything on a table or something like that you should be fine

Often, when people have random restarts, I suggest testing everything outside of the case to make sure the mobo standoff's aren't shorting the board. It should definitely work.

it will work for sure with everything outside the case.. i always lay the mobo on the static bag it came in when im not using a case... recheck all your connections.. how long these parts been laying around?? could be something simple. could be a dead cpu/ram.

ps2cho said:
how would u turn the comp on /wout a case?
or dont u?

You could short the pins that the wires connected to the power button of a case usually connects to with a flathead screwdriver or something. Then you could either set it up in the BIOS to turn on via some predetermined combination of keys (like Ctrl + F1).

Back