• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reddemon_11

Hello everyone! This is my first post here to the forum. I'm hoping you guys can help me out =]

This is my current computer case that I would like to keep. The dimensions are: 480 x 210 x 440MM (DxWxH). http://www.xclio.com/products/case-godspeed-one-adv.htm#details

This is my current mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130309

I want to get an aftermarket cooler but I'm not sure if it will work?

This is my ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276

This is my video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131397

Would I be able to fit something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118074

Kman :welcome: to the forum.

Might be nice to know what you are trying to cool with that cooler. A new FX series processor will most likely 'overwhelm' that cooler.

Looks like it will fit since the cooler will mount north / south and the cooling fins should not overhang too far toward the ram.

I apologize I thought I had it added in there!

I would be attempting to cool an X6 1100T. The goal in general is to take it for just a slight overclock. I'm not looking to hit like 4.8 or anything. I was hoping to maybe get to, at maximum, 4.5 I'll settle somewhere in between a solid 4.0 to 4.5

So, my case shouldn't be an issue with that cooler? Nor any of the other computers.

Apologies again for missing probably the most important part--the part I'm trying to keep cool!

Let me try to be straight up with you. I have for my part lost no love for Zalman coolers. In the past they could not keep up with the likes of Thermalright and now many others. So I am not one to really want to say yes/no on the Zalman. I will though say this. The 4.0Ghz you speak to is possible on air...even for 24/7 but more than that, you better have the best air you can get since most in this forum agree that at 55C most of the AMD cpus before new FX/BD, tend to start to have major stability issues at approximately 55C. No not all but enough that 55C is where we try to keep most asking for overclocking help to stay below.

I'd take a look here for some good reference on HS.

I would also agree with RGone about Zalman coolers. I think you could do better, but it's up to you.

Well, money isn't an issue honestly. I'm guranteed any one gift for christmas and I'm making it the air cooler for my cpu. Based off of that link, I'm really liking the thermax eclipe 2. It looks pretty nifty but it's big. Will it fit with my current parts or do I need to change the mobo/ram, or something to that extent?

I've been running the CNPS9700 NT for around 3 years (first on the cpu in my sig, and it's currently cooling my 1090T) without any issue. I've not had any complaints. I actually like it because the design really makes it easy to clean out every month or so.

Your case is as wide as mine so fit shouldn't be an issue.

Two things to keep in mind when clocking on air, and that is ambient room temperature and airflow through the case. The lower the ambient temperature, and better the airflow through the case, the more stable your temps will be.

I have done some review 'looking' since I posted yesterday and I might change my mind about the ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B HSF assembly.

Notes:
1. At NewEgg there were two things that caught my eye. One said the heatpipes were spindly and could bend. What in heck was he doing? Doing hand-stands on the top of cooler?

2. Getting a replacement fan was tough. I bet so. But it is supposed to be a long lasting roller bearing cooler.

You can follow the link below and there are many of the "newer" coolers tested. Not so many of the old ones. But a newer list. The ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B seems to do well and should clear the ram without a problem.

You have to look for that model Zalman since this is a direct link to the LIST of coolers but inside a reveiw of another heatsink and not the Zalman 9900Max.

Now again since I have somewhat relented against the Zalman lineup...I still would likely do my homework for another brand that clears the ram AND allows me the option to install a sumbeech of a fan if I so desired.

The Noctua D14 is pricey, but it does a nice job if you want to really push the Thuban 24x7 on air. Very high quality, and quiet for the amount of heat it dissipates. Their website lists compatibility by MB and RAM.

I googled the compatibility list KG, and to my surprise both my ram (g-skill ripjaws) and my motherboard (msi-870s-g54) I think I will be getting the noctua for sure now.

Good luck Red. The D14 is a little tricky to install. I added mine after the motherboard was in (wanted to first compare with stock cooler). The center fan between the radiators is removed to mount the D14 then reinstalled. It's a tight fit to clip the fan back in and install the power leads, but the results are worth it. It's a beast of an air cooler. Have fun.

Back