• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo Upgrade worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coxjeet

Registered
I was thinking of getting a new motherboard,but I'm not too sure if I want too.

1 week ago I got a mobile barton 2500+
I previously ran a 1700+ @ 1.8

I got the barton running at 2.2 so far
But seems maybe my motherboard is holding me back I think.

Would I see any beneifit in getting a new motherboard?
I was thinking Abit NF7-s
Or perhaps a Epox board with similar specs.

Here is my current rig

Epox 8rda+
Thermalright SLK 7
Antec Slk3700 AMB case
Amd Mobile Xp 2500+
2 x 256 Samsung 2700
Ati Radeon 9500 pro
80 gig Maxtor

Would I really get any more performance from the new mobo? Or am I better off using what I got until later for a bigger upgrade?

The 8RDA+ was limited in what its chipset would do. The newer boards with the newer nForce chipsets will allow you a higher fsb. The NF7 family will typically do anywhere from 210 to 230 (without mod) depending on your luck in the particular board you get. The DFI Infinity is the other consideration, higher fsb (you'll see 220 to 250 quoted) but not as efficient compared to the NF7. Generally the DFI will come out ahead of the ABIT. Both boards have their own set of problems when you're pushing them to the max.

Both are about $100 and I would say that's a reasonable return on investiment. I'm going to set tight with what I have till I take the A64 jump which is a much bigger dollar jump, at least for me. You have to decide based on your own value system. :cool:

Last edited:
Yea, that mobo is gonna hold you back. Epox is pretty generic budget stuff. I'd say it'd be worth the upgrade.

DFI I hear good things about, however my one experience with a Lan Party board was pretty foul.

I'm a diehard Asus fan - I'd steer you towards the A7N8X Deluxe.

if i was u id get the Abit NF7-S ive had it running like this for about 6months had a DFI board at 230fsb few weeks ago and died on me 2 days later

Failure rates and DOAs on the two are about equal with DFI being slightly better. The NF7 family is quoted from a number of sources at ~50%. My own experience with a dozen boards is 8/12 with is a 67% failure and DOA rate. There was a poll over at one of the other forums on AMDMB and with more than 150 reports the failure rate was ~40%.

Neither board has outstanding rep or at least not in my opinion. Can't say as I would recommend one of the other from a reliability point. Buy one board and you've got roughly a 50% chance it'll be DOA or die after a while. However, get a good one and you'll probably sing their praises for awhile.

Good luck either way if you decide to buy one. :cool:

Last edited:
Man, I chucked my 8RDA+ about 2 days ago. I've had nothing but problems with it since I bought it (damn near a year ago). I ordered a DFI NFII Ultra Infinity, and it should be here any day now.. *drool*

Back