• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding a pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reyn

back when I was a kid, I use to buy those motor cars. u know the 1s you build urself?

I remeber I use open the motor up and wrap it with extra copper wires to make it spin faster.

can this be done to a water cooling pump?

dont you take off the wires to make them faster? not add more?
as for the pump it wouldnt work. pumps have magnetic propellers from what i know. the propeller has a magnet base and you stick it into a hole. that hole has some type of electro magnet that goes on and off on either side and the propeler spins. thats what i know. correct me if im wrong.

I'm afraid you both are wrong. It all depends if it's an AC or DC motor. In a DC motor, increasing the amount of turns will increase the strengh of the electromagnets. It will not necessarily make it spin faster, it will just give it more torque. To increase the speed, you need to increase the DC voltage. In an AC motor, speed is dependant on the frequency of the line voltage and the number of poles inside the motor. The less number of poles, the faster the motor spins but there will be less torque.

Yup.
You also have the added fun of most being encased in epoxy resin, except for the types with a separate motor like Iwaki, Blueline etc...too pricey to go hacking them up.

Back