• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modular vs Non-Modular PSU for a first build system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sannta

I've personally found in many cases a modular PSU can be more messy than a regular fixed cable PSU. This tends to come down to the cable configuration options though. After Recently upgrading to a Super Flower Golden Green PSU I found that the included modular cables did allow me to cut down on the cables in the case for a change. Also, it seems to be completely inaudible, just as my old Corsair HX520 was (a Seasonic made unit).

I can confidently recommend the Super Flower Golden Green series and and other series based on it (NZXT Hale90 or Kingwin Lazer Gold series).

Both the NZXT Hale90 and Kingwin Lazer Gold series have been tested by JonnyGuru and done extremely well in testing. The Kingwin unit in particular is much better value than the Seasonic. You can actually go for an 850W unit for around the same price.

650W NZXT Hale90 - $119.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817116010&cm_re=hale-_-17-116-010-_-Product

700W Kingwin Lazer Gold - $119.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...077&cm_re=kingwin_gold-_-17-121-077-_-Product

850W Kingwin Lazer Gold - $144.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...076&cm_re=kingwin_gold-_-17-121-076-_-Product

Out of the two units you listed I'd go with the Seasonic unit, or if you wanted to go Corsair look at the HX modular series. These are 80+ Silver rated PSU's, made by Seasonic up to the 850W model.

Last edited:
I would go with the Corsair hands down, not sure if it's just me but I've never heard of the seasonic, however I love modular over fixed cables, for the price of the sea sonic thoughnyou should easily be able to get a reputable name brand psu.

I would go with the Corsair hands down, not sure if it's just me but I've never heard of the seasonic, however I love modular over fixed cables, for the price of the sea sonic thoughnyou should easily be able to get a reputable name brand psu.

You're joking right? Half of Corsairs units are made by Seasonic. Seasonic makes some of the best power supplies on the market.

The X series is particularly good

Sannta,

"A rule of thumb:" If you're not going SLI, modulars are just fine. If you're going to ever go SLI, then you'll use most all of your cables anyhow so it makes no difference.

For my light-duty machines, I'm modular on both (HX520 Corsairs). Unused cables are packed away in the bag and out of the way. This works for me.

Seasonic or Corsair are top end so that choice is easy.

Sannta,

"A rule of thumb:" If you're not going SLI, modulars are just fine. If you're going to ever go SLI, then you'll use most all of your cables anyhow so it makes no difference.

For my light-duty machines, I'm modular on both (HX520 Corsairs). Unused cables are packed away in the bag and out of the way. This works for me.

Seasonic or Corsair are top end so that choice is easy.

Agreed, though I still think you get the best value with one of the Kingwin units. Check out the review by Oklahoma Wolf over at JonnyGuru:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=206

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I'll be going with the KINGWIN LZG-700 GOLD 700W ATX 12V v2.2 mjw21a. Regarding SLI RollingThunder, as you can see I'm going with the 6870, and have no plans of going crossfire or getting nVidia and going SLI in this system, but thanks for the tip, that's good to know.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I'll be going with the KINGWIN LZG-700 GOLD 700W ATX 12V v2.2 mjw21a. Regarding SLI RollingThunder, as you can see I'm going with the 6870, and have no plans of going crossfire or getting nVidia and going SLI in this system, but thanks for the tip, that's good to know.

You made a good choice, there are many. Many ask about a power supply after they bought one but you did your homework beforehand. :thup:

Nice rig you're building and good luck with it. Post back when it's finished?

Very nice, I hope we some some pictures of your build when its finished hey? Looks like a pretty sweet little system you're putting together.

Last edited:
absolutely I'll post back with some build pictures, and potentially cookies for you mjw21a and RollingThunder!

So long as they're not tracking cookies :p

Look forward to the build pics though. :cool:

Back