• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor dying? The screen stretches based on brightness.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xAlucarDx

Registered
I have a 19" ViewSonic PF790 CRT, about 2 & 1/2 to 3 years old, and I did try deguasing it.

This is really hard to explain, so hopefully you can make some sense of it. At first this would only happen every once in a great while, once every two weeks or so and would go away fast. that happened for about two months, but now it does it all the time. The problem is really weird - if there is a lot of bright things on the screen (ie: if I open google and maximize the window) it will look fine, but if I open something dark (ie: the ocforums) the screen stretches horizontally so far that I can't even see the start button or the date. It also discolors everything and there is some weird banding happening towards the sides if it is really dark. Also the monitor will spaz out if I go from something really dark to something really light, and it will stretch really far inward and outward really fast before settling to however stretched it is based on how bright the contents of the screen are.

Oh, if I turn the monitor off for awhile it will go back to normal, and that used to be fine when It didn't happen much, but now even after having the monitor off for hours it will start to do it again in probably an hour or so.

Do you think this is worth getting repaired, or is it totally trashed? And how the heck do you even get a monitor reparied? Do mainstream computer places do that kind of stuff? I would hate to take something in to bestbuy to get it fixed, but I don't know ANYTHING about monitors.

Back