• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MORE Sapphire 9800 Pro Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theblt

I posted my problem here with my card several days ago, and I've done a bit of testing since then.
My problem was that my 9800 was restarting my computer as some games would get ready to go into '3D mode' so to speak. After games would finish loading, as soon they would get ready to show the 3D, it would either shut down the GPU processing or restart the computer.
The weird thing is, this isn't working on my Gigabyte motherboard with AMD 64 3000+ , but it did work on my NF7-M with 2500+.
Here's what I've tested:
-Tested with Radeon 9250 in Gigabyte motherboard and it WORKED
-Tested each stick of RAM
-Tested with 450W and 580W Power Supply
-Latest drivers/bios

All the fans, everything is stock on the card. I have 4 case fans running now too to try and keep it cooler. I even tested without them (maybe power issues). Still nothing.

I just don't understand how it works on my older rig, but an older 9250 worked on my newer rig. But the 9800 still won't work on my new rig.

Any help?

-Ben

theblt said:
I posted my problem here with my card several days ago, and I've done a bit of testing since then.
My problem was that my 9800 was restarting my computer as some games would get ready to go into '3D mode' so to speak. After games would finish loading, as soon they would get ready to show the 3D, it would either shut down the GPU processing or restart the computer.
The weird thing is, this isn't working on my Gigabyte motherboard with AMD 64 3000+ , but it did work on my NF7-M with 2500+.
Here's what I've tested:
-Tested with Radeon 9250 in Gigabyte motherboard and it WORKED
-Tested each stick of RAM
-Tested with 450W and 580W Power Supply
-Latest drivers/bios

All the fans, everything is stock on the card. I have 4 case fans running now too to try and keep it cooler. I even tested without them (maybe power issues). Still nothing.

I just don't understand how it works on my older rig, but an older 9250 worked on my newer rig. But the 9800 still won't work on my new rig.

Any help?

-Ben
:welcome: to the forums (once again)

what drivers are you using? It could be a driver issue. I'm thinking a new install of the latest catalyst drivers might solve the problem...... also..... are those psus cheap or good quality?

They're both fair PSU's. But why would that be the problem? It worked on my last rig. Unless the mobo and CPU need more power, but why would that be?

I'm using Catalyst 5.3.

I'm thinking about returning the card to Newegg, but then I risk losing my 15% restock fee and getting another non-working card. If I do return it, I'll get a little more expensive card.

Any suggestions for a better one, not too much more than $250?

Back