• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOSFET Cooling (thermal adhesive or tape question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good luck finding thermal tape or adhesive for sale, I tried just about every computer shop I could find and none of them sold it.

Some good quality thermal adhesive would be ideal if you can find a shop that sells it, and the adhesive tends to stick better than the tape does.

25mm fans are going to be extremely noisy to even move a small amount of air, so you'd be best off improving your case ventilation instead. Maybe cutting a hole in the side of your case and mounting a 120-140mm fan on the side blowing onto your motherboard would be the way to go.

Try googling thermal tape and plenty of places sell it..

Cool thanks guys! :) I appreciate the pic. And I did find some thermal paste that was non conductive. The Arctic Alumina ceramic is non electrically conductive... It is like Gods own hand when it bonds though lol.

Not sure if anyone advised you on this but, once you add sinks with thermal epoxy (Arctic Alumina) it is permanent and cannot be removed without destroying the board. This will also void your motherboard's warranty so no RMA.

Nice job adding the sinks tho :thup:

Ya, no one did, but the directions that came with the epoxy were very very clear and specific that once the epoxy was applied it wasn't going to come off, ever. Good stuff though. I am going to add the smaller heatsinks to the actual mosfets in the next few days. I have been trying to think of ways to cool my xbox with them. They are very cool little heatsinks, and between the two different sizes available you can pretty much stick them on anything that needs to be cooled that doesn't have a specific heatsink developed for it.

Adhesive

I know this topic is old but still applicable to some, such as myself. Back in the 3DFX days, during their last generation of 3DFX cards, those who wanted to fashion a RAM sinks had to go to Radio shack and purchase their heat sinks and bond them on. The best way to do this at the time, was to use JBSteel (yes, the automotive stuff). The reason, is it resists high heat and it is a very good heat conductor. Just spread a very, very light, pin-head size drop on the mosfet, spread thin, as to not have it sandwich out into the metal contacts on the mosfets, as JBSteel does have some Steel particles in it and I'm not sure what the effects would be with it in the metal contacts. I fear this with arctic silver getting on the mainboard as well.

These days there is good, cheap, thermal tape to be found.
Does the job just as well, and you can pull it off later if you want.

Talk about reviving an old thread.

Bought myself a combo deal at Microcenter for an I3570k and MSI Z77A-G41 (30 bux out the door cheap mobo) http://www.microcenter.com/product/401769/Z77A-G41_LGA_1155_mATX_Intel_Motherboard. As you can tell from the pix, the mosfet is as bare as a baby bottom. I was about to buy some enzotech mosfet heatsink but a pack of 10 ($12) is not enough (16 from the pictures). The thought of spending 24 bux for mosfet cooling on a 30 dollars mobo just doesn't sit too well. Long story short (too late), yesterday when I was cleaning up my pile of electronics stuff, I came across an old vid card that I put some copper heatsink on, which easily came off after a lil prying. The sticky tape on the back obviously doesn't work too well anymore so off to Google I went to look for place that sell them. Cheapest place I found is on eBay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...tape&geo_id=9982&adgroup_id=3303115767&crdt=0.

The question now is, do I want to be cheap and go with the least expensive one on the list?

I might be waaaaay of the mark on this but....

Check out the Antec Spotcool.
I have one directed at my NB (cover also removed) and it has help to keep it sub-45C.

They have 3 speed settings and are a piece of cake to fit.

Back