• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most bang-for-buck am2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFG34

I am building a new rig for UT3 and new help choosing a cheap cpu that i can oc and with 2mb cache.
is the 4600 my answer?

I suggest a 8800GT and any AM2 that is above 2.6ghz or clocks that high which is most should be fine. Only need good graphics card.

You might consider an Opti 175 or 180 for that Ultra D and get another year out of it.
In the AM2s 5200 and 5600 is where the 5200 is where the performance 2x1M cache start. 5600 is only 10-15 bucks more.

Ok, I'm not sure exactly how much you want to spend, but the best 2MB choice chip you can get is the 5200+ CZBOX that should do over 3gs easily for $140.

On the other hand I feel like you'd get better bang for the buck from something like the X2 4000+ or 4800+ Brisbane. Even though they only have 1MB cache, they should save you a decent chunk of money and still hit close to 3ghz. The performance difference made by the cache is only a couple percent.

Back