• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most optimal way of running BOINC and F@H on the same computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
Hello:

I have two Core 2 Duo systems that I'm running both SMP F@H and BOINC/seti on. I want to have each project share 50% of available CPU time, and the way I'm doing it right now "seems" to be working - the F@H SMP work units are still completing fast enough to make the deadlines. I don't know if its working optimally for seti though.

I have setup BOINC preferences on both machines to use 50% of available CPU power and suspend computation until there's been no mouse/keyboard activity for one minute, and then I have setup F@H SMP with defaults, except that it is running as a service. When I check the processes tab in Task Manager it looks like both projects are sharing 50% of cpu time, however the seti processes and fahcore processes are bouncing around every second. Particularly, the seti processes will go from 0-10% of cpu usage, to 30-50%, and then back to 0-10% usage. If I set BOINC to do computation while the computer is in use it still looks like the seti processes go to 0-10% usage every other second. FAH SMP looks to be taking CPU time consistently.

What is the best way to get both projects to play nicely with each other? Thanks.

SMP Can't run on one core...

Can you just make two boinc ptojects and 50% of each core to each BOINC and the SMP to garble the otehr 2 50$a.

SMP Can't run on one core...

Can you just make two boinc ptojects and 50% of each core to each BOINC and the SMP to garble the otehr 2 50$a.

Do you mean have two separate copies of BOINC installed in different folders with each connected to the seti project?

Can you schedule F@H to run based on a daily schedule? With Boinc you can set the project to run that way using Preferences...say between 6PM and 8AM every day - for instance on a business workstation. If F@H can do the same why not set each project to run 12 hours each day opposite each other? You can still use BOINC's preference for not crunching when someone is using the machine.

Last edited:
If you've got two rigs that are about equal I'd just split the rigs - fold on one, crunch on the other.

I lieu if that Maxi's idea is very good if F@H can be scheduled ...

Hmm, I don't think F@H can be setup to run at certain times, at least not the SMP client. The FAH SMP client is nowhere near as polished as BOINC, half of the time it trashes the WU if rebooting without stopping the service.

I'll see if there's a script or something that will start/stop the FAH client at certain times, otherwise I'll probably take your advice QuietIce and run one or the other. :thup:

Back