• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most powerful 12v DC fan is...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I am in need of a very powerful high CFM fan.

Noise is of NO concern, this isn't for my PC, rather it's for my Honda Odyssey FL250 (the dune buggy :attn: ) so I'll never hear it over the engine anyway.
I know the head gets very hot when I'm riding and currently, I don't ride it much after the piston exploded on me.

The idea is to put said fan in a shroud blowing directly over the cylinder head, so I figure a high CFM fan is best.
I'll be running this off a battery of course, (once I figure out how to convert the AC the engine makes to DC.) but I wanted to source a fan first so I can gauge what size of batter I'd need.

Would a Delta be best here??
Thanks guys :cheers:

Won't make a damn bit of difference Kyle.
You're gonna need an electric fan off a car rad, or off a liquid cooled 4 wheeler.

Won't make a damn bit of difference Kyle.
You're gonna need an electric fan off a car rad, or off a liquid cooled 4 wheeler.
That big? Not even one of these Deltas would help?
Saw this guy with a 4" blower which got me thinking about the heat issue again..

While I could go ahead and watercool it, the watercooled heads are not cheap..

That big? Not even one of these Deltas would help?
Saw this guy with a 4" blower which got me thinking about the heat issue again..
Different application. He's force feeding air into the induction system, not trying to force air to cool anything.
Check out how the air cooled VW's, Porshe's, and Corvair's were cooled. Everything has to be shrouded to direct fan blown air through them.

Last edited:
Different application. He's force feeding air into the induction system, not trying to force air to cool anything.
? I'm confused.

What that guy is doing is what I want to do. Force air over the cylinder head...
Only difference is he has a CR250 head where mine is stock.

? I'm confused.

What that guy is doing is what I want to do. Force air over the cylinder head...
Only difference is he has a CR250 head where mine is stock.

EDIT- DOH! Didn't scroll down the page far enough. I see what's going on now.

Last edited:
EDIT- DOH! Didn't scroll down the page far enough. I see what's going on now.
:D
How bout one of these delta fans with a power inverter?

10k Rpm!

That would probably work :D

Only thing is, need to keep the fan under 4 amps. The AC circuit provides 60 watts or so for the head light. I never use the headlight so with no inverter or whatever being 100% efficient, I'm probably left with about 50 watts for or for a DC fan.

I'd use AC, but im not sure of many fans running off 12V AC..

Kyle, with the air cooled setup in the link the guy has an upgraded head from a Cr 250 which apparently has larger or more fins to keep the head cool, as well as a 240 cfm fan. In the post below it he's gone to a water cooled head
I picked up a Rand water cooled head on eBay for a good price and a used Yamaha Banshee radiator cheap.
from what I'm gathering he's using the delta fan to cool the yamaha banshee radiator which is cooling the water cooled head.

I imagine due to the driver set and other components in front of the motor you likely need to figure out a way to get the air to flow over the head better. Maybe do some shrouding work to direct the air over the hear better?

Kyle, with the air cooled setup in the link the guy has an upgraded head from a Cr 250 which apparently has larger or more fins to keep the head cool, as well as a 240 cfm fan. In the post below it he's gone to a water cooled head from what I'm gathering he's using the delta fan to cool the yamaha banshee radiator which is cooling the water cooled head.

I imagine due to the driver set and other components in front of the motor you likely need to figure out a way to get the air to flow over the head better. Maybe do some shrouding work to direct the air over the hear better?

I've always thought of putting some 3" pipe directing air from the sides right onto the head actually.
Maybe, some 3" pipe on the top rollbar + some fans at the bottom of the pipe blowing onto the head? :shrug:
I think that would be the best way.. Only issue is if I get caught in the rain, the fans wouldn't like that..

I saw he eventually went water cooled yeah. But he rides in the dunes, I mostly ride on open road and in the snow. So watercooling is a bit extreme in my case I would think.

Is there room behind the driver to create some sort of ducting to direct the flow of air while moving, over and around the head? I'm thinking something like galvanized steel sheets?

Is there room behind the driver to create some sort of ducting to direct the flow of air while moving, over and around the head? I'm thinking something like galvanized steel sheets?

Barely... Like maybe 2"?
Tall guy so the seat has to be all the way back. :-/

San Ace also makes high CFM fans. The contra-rotation fans put out a lot of CFM. For ruggedness, consider Papst fans. They make all-metal rugged fans.

San Ace also makes high CFM fans. The contra-rotation fans put out a lot of CFM. For ruggedness, consider Papst fans. They make all-metal rugged fans.
I was thinking about the San Aces..
Any good place to buy the San aces or the Papst?

Might go with the Papst since the dune buggy has no suspension so it gets pretty bumpy. Not to mention twigs and such flying up
Thanks for this!

that's a marine bilge blower he has installed.
we use those and spraybars on our brakes.

that's a marine bilge blower he has installed.
we use those and spraybars on our brakes.

To cool the brakes?

I'm all for any fan really. Just needs to blow a s**tton of air.
Looking through the Pabst .pdf, I'm not sure If I should go with a blower style or the standard style we all see with PC fans...

Or perhaps I should go bigger with a 5" rad fan...

EDIT: Newark / Element14 has Pabst fans. That's good since I already have an account on file from past purchases and they were smooth purchases too :thup:

I was never good at picking fans to begin with :facepalm:

yup, we spray the brakes to cool them, every bit helps in qualifying and in longer events.
why not just order the detmar he uses, seems to work for him.

Newark is where I get mine as well. They have San Ace. EBMPapst use them and other vendors. But wouldn't motorhead boards be the place to ask these Q's? We're all computerheads here. Just a few people who are also motorheads too.

Back