• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard compatibility of XP-120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cho

Since I'm too keen on having the XP-120 on the Abit AI7, I sent an email to ask for its motherboard compatibility. (Waiting is just too painful.) I got a bad news for me. Here is what Thermalright replied (I asked for Abit and Asus board only):

IC7 passed* caps mechanically obstruct pipe slightly, cap tilting necessary
IC7-G passed* caps mechanically obstruct pipe slightly, cap tilting necessary
IC7-Max3 failed OTES mechanically obstruct pipe severally, complete OTES removal necessary
IS7 passed
IS7-E passed
IS7-G passed
IS7-E2 failed 1 cap mechanically obstruct 1 pipe
AI7 failed Chipset cooler obstructed

P4C800 passed* caps mechanically obstruct pipe slightly, cap tilting necessary
P4C800 Deluxe passed* caps mechanically obstruct pipe slightly, cap tilting necessary
P4C800-E Deluxe passed* caps mechanically obstruct pipe slightly, cap tilting necessary
P4P800 passed
P4P800 Deluxe passed
P4P800-E Deluxe passed
P4P800 SE passed
P4R800-V Deluxe passed
P4R800-VM passed
P4P800S passed
P4P800S-E Deluxe passed
P4P800S SE passed
P4P8X SE passed
P4P8X passed
P4P800-VM passed
P4P800-MX passed
P4G8X Deluxe failed 2 cap mechanically obstruct pipes
P4G8X failed 2 cap mechanically obstruct pipes
P4S800-MX passed

Oh... I forgot to thank the technician in Thermalright in previous post. Actually I've sent three mails (one of the compatibility of XP-120 to AI7, one for availability of XP-120, one for the compatibility of XP-120 to Abit and Asus boards) to the technical support of Thermalright. And all replies are very responsive.

Cho said:
IC7-G passed* caps mechanically obstruct pipe slightly, cap tilting necessary

does this mean that IC7-G users have to bend a "cap" to make it fit? if so, what do they mean?

Yes, they are customer service orientated..Nice to see they have a mobo compatability chart in place..Are your emails going to Tiawan and is Jim answering them? If I haven't told you already, :-/
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Jognt said:
does this mean that IC7-G users have to bend a "cap" to make it fit? if so, what do they mean?
It seems to me that you need to bend the cap of IC7-G. But I don't know the detail as I haven't sent further email to ask about the detail.

archilochus said:
Yes, they are customer service orientated..Nice to see they have a mobo compatability chart in place..Are your emails going to Tiawan and is Jim answering them? If I haven't told you already, :-/
Yes, Jim replied all the mails.

Hhum, no gigabyte tested ?
from the looks, i got plenty of space on my GA-8knxp, and if they send me a sample, i'll tell em if it fits or not..
B!

That sucks about the Max 3. I wonder if the fan for the sink will cool as well as the OTES would anyway!?!?!?!

Thanks for posting this!

BrandonV said:
That sucks about the Max 3. I wonder if the fan for the sink will cool as well as the OTES would anyway!?!?!?!

Thanks for posting this!

:eek: Yeah I'm with you on that one Brandon.
I have the MAX3 also. However I think the 190 CFM Fan (Delta 120x38mm FFB1212EHE) that I ordered from Sidewinder for the XP-120 I have on reserve should be able to cool my MOSFETS at least as well as that OTES 40mm fan. Actually I'm thinking I may keep the Fan in place just Cut the shroud away around it. I would hate to lose that extra 5 or 6 CFM it puts out. LMAO well it would at least plug that hole it would leave if I took the whole thing off.

And lastly a huge thanks to Cho for the post. :D

Electron Chaser said:
However I think the 190 CFM Fan (Delta 120x38mm FFB1212EHE) that I ordered from Sidewinder for the XP-120 I have on reserve should be able to cool my MOSFETS at least as well as that OTES 40mm fan

Wow... This beast generates 59db-A of noise when operating in full power. :eek: Are you going to connect it through a fan controller? Common controller allow 18W (1.5A) maximum power only but FFB1212EHE's full power is 24W (2.0A).
(I've never used a 59db-fan before. Can anyone live with it without a controller?)

-=Mr_B=- said:
Hhum, no gigabyte tested ?
from the looks, i got plenty of space on my GA-8knxp, and if they send me a sample, i'll tell em if it fits or not..
B!
They prob were tested but cho only requested Asus and Abit

Cho said:
Wow... This beast generates 59db-A of noise when operating in full power. :eek: Are you going to connect it through a fan controller? Common controller allow 18W (1.5A) maximum power only but FFB1212EHE's full power is 24W (2.0A).
(I've never used a 59db-fan before. Can anyone live with it without a controller?)

I run a 92 mm tornado now at full tilt and it puts out over 56 dba what is another 25% increase in sound :D

archilochus said:
Not if he uses the one I recommended..RHE-15...:burn::)

Thanks for the link I may get one just to check it out.

My Fan came today, it looks like it was a good thing I ordered it when I did since Sidewinder is all sold of them now. Hopefully they will restock them soon. Just waiting on my heatsink now I sent out another email. I should get a response back by tomorrow I should think. I'm also currently working on a new case to install everything in. It is just a Full Tower Dragon (Call me old school and not much for eye candy).

I have done some serious mods to it. To include designing a new dual PSU mounting plate. I have the print design in PDF format if anyone wants it. (Yes it is a true print designed using Inventor with all the required dimensions, Not drawn with a crayon and run through a scanner).

Why duel PSU's let's just say I don't want to strain any single PSU to run all the fans I'm installing.

I have some other crazy ideas I have come up with and I'm including in this case mod. I don't want to give them all away right now. :D

When I get it all together I guess I will finally have to breakdown and make a website LOL so I can post some pics that is unless somebody else wants to post them for me. Which is even better :clap:

I promise I will post temps with the PC in the new case with the SP-94 using a tornado 92mm at full blast as well as with the XP-120 with the Monster Delta 120 running for all it's worth.

I cannot wait till the damn thing shows up

Last edited:
ThermalRight XP-120 - Reserve Yours!

The ThermalRight XP-120 mounts directly to the MB for the most secure mounting possible. This mounting system requires the presence of four mounting holes surrounding the processor socket. Designed for use with AMD: Athlon64 FX 3200+/Athlon64 3200+ and above
Intel: Pentium-4 socket-478 3.2 GHz and above only.

If you would like to be contacted once the XP-120 is in stock or available for pre-order, please click HERE and we will email you once they are available. Please note the sale price below is not set yet.

Price $ 49.99
Product Number HS-004
Qty on Hand 73
Status In Stock

http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=HS-004

Back