• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard cpu compatibility discrepancies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arconreef

I was looking into buying a new cpu for my motherboard, and when I look at the best possible cpu, the motherboard's webpage (here) claims that it is compatible with up to a Phenom II X2 series, but my motherboard's manual says the best cpu that it is compatible with is the Athlon 64 X2 series, which is what is currently installed in it. Which should I trust? Can my motherboard actually handle a current cpu like the Phenom II X2 series?

The web site would have the more up to date information. Since the time the manual was published the manufacturer has probably released new bios files that enable the board to recognize and correctly identify the Phenom II X2 series, a CPU family which may not have been in existence when the board first came out. In order to use these newer CPUs on your board you may need to "flash" the board with a newer bios version. There is a freeware program called CPU-z that will tell you what bios version you are currently running (look in the "Motherboard" tab of the program interface). Then go to the motherboard manufacturer's CPU compatibility list and see what bios version supports the CPU you are wanting to run. If a newer bios is needed, download the bios file as well as the flasher utility. There should be instructions on the web site explaining how to do it.

Attachments

• version.JPG
    version.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Back