• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intention

Currently I'm running Windows 7 64bit with the hardware specs being:
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU: i7 930 @ Stock (due to all the problems)
RAM: 6x Mushkin 2GB DDR3-1600
HDD: 2x OCZ Vertex 2 60gb Raid 0 on the Intel Controller (with Windows on it)
3x Western Digital HDDs in various sizes
Videocards: 3x Radeon HD6950 in Crossfire

So originally I had my PC lock up randomly while doing various things be it gaming, watching a movie, or even browsing the internet. I ran Furmark on rather easier settings to just put the graphics card under some load overnight to try to figure out what was causing these things since I had previous issues with the graphics cards. In the morning I was greeted by a blank screen with a flashing cursor attempting to boot from a hard drive that didn't have Windows on it. I checked the BIOS and the boot menu had been defaulted to Removable->Disk->HDD and the HDD chosen had changed to one on a completely different SATA port.

To try to fix this I decided to upgrade, I got 2 SSD's and attempted to put them on Raid 0 on the Marvell controller however after having hilariously terrible speeds I went back to the Intel controller (with Raid 0). Now this is where I'm having all these issues happen again. Randomly usually when I'm not actually doing anything on the computer in the middle of the night it likes to BSOD since in the morning I'm greeted again, by the blank screen + flashing cursor and to find my BIOS boot menu was changed again. Another thing that bothers me is when the motherboard "auto-detects" what is connected to SATA ports it can be very very slow or just hang while detecting. Again the previous example would be FurMark or if I was downloading an ftp backup of my website (to another hdd not the raid volume) or just leaving the computer on unattended for a bit. It happened earlier when I was playing a game and was checking something on Firefox and managed to catch the memory reference 0x(0's)F4.

This has officially driven me crazy since it has killed my attempts at productivity and my attempts at having fun. I've reinstalled Windows 3 times before this on different drives and on different controllers and I just can't keep dealing with this, any help would be appreciated.

it sounds some like a power problem.
a little bit like the power in the home itself is not doing well on the curcuit your on for the computer?
i dont know why? like mabey the microwave , a air conditioner , or a fridge is on the same curcuit?

can you tell us what the PSU is? what is the UPS that your using?

it sounds some like a power problem.
a little bit like the power in the home itself is not doing well on the curcuit your on for the computer?
i dont know why? like mabey the microwave , a air conditioner , or a fridge is on the same curcuit?

can you tell us what the PSU is? what is the UPS that your using?

Sorry totally forgot about it, I have an OCZ Z series 1000 Watt PSU with what I'm pretty sure is an APC ES 450VA.
Frequency: 60 Hz
Input Voltage: 110 V AC
Input Voltage Range: 120 V AC Nominal
88 V AC to 139 V AC Mains Operation
Load Capacity: 450 VA/257 W
Output Voltage: 120 V AC Nominal

As for the circuit it should be completely separate from any of those since its in the basement and the wiring was done as of like last year way after anything else got installed (the house is from the 70's) and central air was put in 3 years ago.

But what confuses me is why the BIOS keeps changing the boot order when it shouldn't, it's not like I'm clearing the CMOS or making it reset at any point by anything that I'm doing.

there is one issue
get a 1500VA APC and then some for that system. I have used a 1500 for half that hardware :) but just because i wanted better hold time, and to keep alive some other external items, so i could finish something.

for the cmos changing, could be the battery, or the battery socket (good connection), just the fact that it mabey is jumping back in as a "failed settings" because it didnt post well? or that the cmos jumper is not on, or on the wrong setting. or just a motherboard that is trying to THINK :) and you know what happens when computers try to think.

i still need the exact model of the PSU, and some cool pictures of all your wiring would be fun :)

there is one issue
get a 1500VA APC and then some for that system. I have used a 1500 for half that hardware :) but just because i wanted better hold time, and to keep alive some other external items, so i could finish something.

for the cmos changing, could be the battery, or the battery socket (good connection), just the fact that it mabey is jumping back in as a "failed settings" because it didnt post well? or that the cmos jumper is not on, or on the wrong setting. or just a motherboard that is trying to THINK :) and you know what happens when computers try to think.

i still need the exact model of the PSU, and some cool pictures of all your wiring would be fun :)
Yeah the PSU is an OCZ 1000W Z series I picked it up on sale a while ago - as for photos I'll look at taking the computer apart after work today anything in particular you want to see since the general wiring is more or less a mess because I've been messing around with the ports and wiring and what not.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/ocz_z-series_z1000m_1000w_atx_psu/1
one single Fat 12V rail on the PSU, so that makes one aspect of it easier .
some of the PSUs have seperate safety curcuits, and it makes it more difficult to make sure that the power is distributed proper. dont have that problem here.

Just any pics that show the whole thing, all the things that use power and all, and only if you already got the side off.

another thing to check with a computer acting like this, is that AC power line. the one that goes In the PSU, those can be poorly connected and still stay in place. sometimes i forget to really shove that thing back in good after pulling the computer out, it doesnt just Fall out like other poorly connected items.

Last edited:
Your UPS is wayyy too small.

Mine is 1500 VA for my sig rig. I pull wayy more than 1000VA (750 watts) with concurrent CPU/GPU load tests.

Your UPS needs to be able to pass the rated wattage. Take it out of the loop, give it a try.

Your bios is ressetting to default when it crashes like that, not uncommon. You have to redo the basics, like boot drive and order.

Your UPS is wayyy too small.

Mine is 1500 VA for my sig rig. I pull wayy more than 1000VA (750 watts) with concurrent CPU/GPU load tests.

Your UPS needs to be able to pass the rated wattage. Take it out of the loop, give it a try.

Your bios is ressetting to default when it crashes like that, not uncommon. You have to redo the basics, like boot drive and order.

I was given the ups for free but I'll take it out and give it a go with furmark over night, but its strange it would crash on just ftp since the graphics cards downclocks on its own.

Not sure if this could be an issue but my 1500VA UPS "conditions" the power to prevent spikes etc.

I wonder if a system was drawing more power than the UPS was rated for if that may cause problems. Even though your power is coming from the wall, it still goes through the UPS. Just a thought.

Not sure if this could be an issue but my 1500VA UPS "conditions" the power to prevent spikes etc.

I wonder if a system was drawing more power than the UPS was rated for if that may cause problems. Even though your power is coming from the wall, it still goes through the UPS. Just a thought.
I'm very UPS illiterate, considering there were a few comments of mine being way underrated what kind should I look at getting? I figured it would be lowering rated voltages to provide a more consistent one, it would also explain why randomly it would just start beeping when nothing is wrong (lost the 1 page user manual lol)

You need at a minimum a 1500VA model. Thats good for 900 watts of power.

They all beep when the PC is pulling more power than it's rated for. Well mine would.

My manual:
HOW TO DETERMINE THE POWER REQUIREMENTS OF YOUR EQUIPMENT​
1.​
Ensure that the equipment plugged into the outlet does not exceed the UPS unit’s rated capacity (1350VA/810W for CP1350PFCLCD,
1500VA/900W for CP1500PFCLCD). If the rated capacities of the unit are exceeded, an overload condition may occur and cause the UPS
unit to shut down or the circuit breaker to trip.

2.​
There are many factors that can affect the amount of power that your computer system will require. It is suggested that the load placed on

the battery outlets not exceed 80% of the unit’s capacity.

I have this, minimum for you. About $200.
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/adaptive-sinewave-series/CP1500PFCLCD.html

You need at a minimum a 1500VA model. Thats good for 900 watts of power.

They all beep when the PC is pulling more power than it's rated for. Well mine would.

My manual:
HOW TO DETERMINE THE POWER REQUIREMENTS OF YOUR EQUIPMENT​
1.​
Ensure that the equipment plugged into the outlet does not exceed the UPS unit’s rated capacity (1350VA/810W for CP1350PFCLCD,
1500VA/900W for CP1500PFCLCD). If the rated capacities of the unit are exceeded, an overload condition may occur and cause the UPS
unit to shut down or the circuit breaker to trip.

2.​
There are many factors that can affect the amount of power that your computer system will require. It is suggested that the load placed on

the battery outlets not exceed 80% of the unit’s capacity.

I have this, minimum for you. About $200.
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/adaptive-sinewave-series/CP1500PFCLCD.html
I guess I was completely oblivious to what it could do to my power even if its coming from the wall so I guess my best course is to just go directly to the wall for a few days and see how things go before I drop $200+ for something that might not be the problem but it does make sense.

Edit: Just now I had Firefox + Winamp + Aion open suddenly I had Firefox force close, Winamp throw up an error about not being able to write to memory and Aion having a waiting in queue to login with some absurd place (in the millions) then a BSOD with the 0xF4 error. It took 3 reboots while in the posting for it to recognize anything connected to the SATA ports then to get it to see my RAID again.

Last edited:
Back