• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for 4ghz overclock on 4770k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

breads

First, could you please confirm this bit of info? Is it true that using standard turbo boost, a 4770k can only do up to 3.7ghz on all 4 cores?

Second, what sort of motherboard is needed to do a stable overclock at 4ghz on a 4770k? For example a z87 g45 has 8 power phases, but a z87 g65 has 12. Can a g45 handle 4ghz long term, or would a motherboard with 12 phases really be necessary? It doesn't need a lot of features since this build would only have a couple hard drives and 1 graphics card. The motherboard and cpu would ideally last for 3 or 4 years.

Thanks for the responses. My understanding was that the 4770k could only boost to 3.7ghz on all 4 cores, and could do 3.9 with 1 or 2 cores. Therefore, a 4ghz overclock on 4 cores would be equal to about an 8% overclock (4/3.7). Can someone please clear this up?

Also, so any motherboard that has 8 power phases should be able to handle a 4gz overclock long term without any issues? A 12 power phase board is not needed?

Last edited:
Any board is going to run above 4GHz. Better power phases are usually needed for much higher overclock like 5GHz+. Even simple boards can support at least ~200-250W load and these CPUs won't have more than ~100W at 4GHz.
Many Z87 boards dedicated for overclocking have 8 cpu phases ( like GB Z87X-OC ) . I think that even 4 would be fine for something like 4-4.2GHz.

Turbo on 4770K is 3900Mhz (all cores) and pretty much any board can run that without issue.
It is? At least on this biostar, as I was dealing with it last night, and I think the mpower max, it was 37 all cores, 38 three cores and 39 one/two cores? Asus 'cheats' and runs a constant 3.9ghz...

Hmm...perhaps its board specific, or I'm just not paying attention close enough, lol!

First, could you please confirm this bit of info? Is it true that using standard turbo boost, a 4770k can only do up to 3.7ghz on all 4 cores?

Second, what sort of motherboard is needed to do a stable overclock at 4ghz on a 4770k? For example a z87 g45 has 8 power phases, but a z87 g65 has 12. Can a g45 handle 4ghz long term, or would a motherboard with 12 phases really be necessary? It doesn't need a lot of features since this build would only have a couple hard drives and 1 graphics card. The motherboard and cpu would ideally last for 3 or 4 years.

Why do you only want 4Ghz? Why not go to 4.4? It's achievable quite easily on Haswell. You'll want a slightly up-market motherboard, of course, whereas 4Ghz can be run on a piece of cardboard with a pistachio wired to it for VRM.

Back