• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard for newest AMD cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike McIntyre

Registered
Sister-inlaw wants me to put a new system together for her. She is not into online gaming but does like to fiddle with her photos as a hobby. I want to know your thoughts as far as the best motherboard to combine with an AMD II Phenom 4.,best case for air flow, fastest memory,she will be using XP pro OS.Am going to use two 500 gb sata hardrives and two DVDRW's, I have already chose a video card,not needing to go sli. I know this may sound strange since I am asking for motherboard advice from you pros,but I have put together 6 systems for friends in the last year and a half and have used Biostar motherboards and AMD cpu's and have not had a problem with any of the Biostar boards. Now however I am asking for advice on a build that won't be outdated in 2 months and will be fairly fast. Thanx in advance!

Sister-inlaw wants me to put a new system together for her. She is not into online gaming but does like to fiddle with her photos as a hobby. I want to know your thoughts as far as the best motherboard to combine with an AMD II Phenom 4.,best case for air flow, fastest memory,she will be using XP pro OS.Am going to use two 500 gb sata hardrives and two DVDRW's, I have already chose a video card,not needing to go sli. I know this may sound strange since I am asking for motherboard advice from you pros,but I have put together 6 systems for friends in the last year and a half and have used Biostar motherboards and AMD cpu's and have not had a problem with any of the Biostar boards. Now however I am asking for advice on a build that won't be outdated in 2 months and will be fairly fast. Thanx in advance!

i think if she jsut want to do photo as a lobby and not play online gaming i don't thinkshe need a phenom II and a beast computer...

edit : im not a pro btw ..

When you say "fiddle with photos" do you mean she is using an image editing program like Photoshop or Paint.NET? Even if she is using those you don't need that much processing power for casual editing.

I think she would prefer a small form factor quiet PC with a low-power dual core.

I think an Athlon II 250 + mATX 780g motherboard would work the best.

I merely asked what motherboard would be the best to look at to use the fastest Amd cpu that's out there. I asked her what she wanted and she told me what she intends to use the computer for at this time. I know she has teen age grandkids who will be playing WOW and other online games. She does some photo editing and some film editing and I talked to her about SETI and she wants to do that,doesn't mind leaving system on 24/7.I will do my own research on the motherboard,thanx anyway. I just didn't want to miss a good one because I do value and consider all recommendations on this forum.

Get the MSI 790FX-GD70 after reading these two:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/790fx-socket-am3,2277.html
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...4a-79-t-deluxe-msi-790fx-gd70.html#post204094

The GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard is pretty good too. My cousin is running a Gigabyte 4870X2 and a Phenom II 955 on it and says it's really good.

I'm running an Asus M4A79T Deluxe with a Phenom II 955 at 3.7GHz and an OC'ed Sapphire Radeon HD4890 and got over P11000 with it so it's pretty good too. You can pump the HT all the way to almost 300 with a voltage increase. Mobo temp doesn't go above 37C. Whilst the Phenom II 955 is a Black Edition (unlocked multiplier) I found you get better performance by overclocking the other components and leaving the multiplier standard. You need a good board to do this.

Also this:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/motherboards/review/2009/06/25/Asus-Crosshair-III-Formula/p1

It comes with a PCI Supreme FX card and the price is really good. This is an ROG (Republic of Gamers) board but obviously it would do well in video editing/workstation situations too. You can add on Republic Of Gamers OC Station too. It's basically (as they say in the article) an Asus M4A79T Deluxe with free extras.

It all depends on what you want to use your PC for. I would say the Asus Crosshair III Formula would be good but it is fairly new so may have a few issues; nothing bios upgrades can't fix.

if you want ASUS, go M4A79T Deluxe
if you want MSI, go GD70
or if you want Giga, go UD4 or UD5

I have the M4A79T and I love it, tons of features, rock solid board (for me) seen others with a few issues.
I've built a system for a friend using the PII 955 and the MSI GD70, if I didnt get the awsome combo deal to take off $85 from my board and CPU together I might've gone with the MSI.
Unfortunately I've never used any Gigabyte board.. but I've seen the results of them and you can't go wrong with any of these 3 boards.

Back