• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard fried? Easy??? please look and respond

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D.Whitehurst

so i posted yesterday about this issue new cp not booting up? well.... come to find out an extra stand off was install and touching the back of the motherbaord does this mean its fried cause it still dont work? lol after the second mobo that touched the standoff..

I don't think there is a picture, there are no broken [img][/img] tags in his post.

OP, if the boards were powered up, there is a possibility they are damaged. The only way to know for sure is to test. The layout of a board differs from one another and it also depends on where the standoff is. There is no way for anyone here to predict if there is damage.

We were looking for you posted image...

But we did not see an image to assess the damage that an extra stand-off could perhaps cause. However as below, I have annotated mounting holes and areas of concern. That is unless you had a stand-off mounted that we had no clue whatsoever about.

Attachments

• 4asrockex.jpg
    4asrockex.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 114
Did you try all the plug in components that you put onto this two boards in other computers? I know you said you tested some of them but did you test that CPU in another computer that works or did you try another CPU in either of those two ASRock boards? I've done what you did with the misplaced offset a couple of times over the years but fortunately it never damaged any components but I'm sure it really depends on where on the board the contact was occurring. I did fry a board one time after dropping a screw onto it while the computer was powered up.

lol also yes i have tested diffrent cpu's in the two boards along with all other componets in other computers they work fine, but also in the picture i notice in my case where the stand off was touching the board you dont have it high lighting in any... the stand off was touching the right side of the board between the bottom screw (where the blue sata ports are and blue indicated usb) and between the right middle screw underneath the ram.... thats where it was

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well, a bitter lesson to learn. Always, always triple check to make sure the offsets match up with the motherboard screw holes before you screw her down. Its so easy to get that wrong and as I say, I've done it myself.

No Rookie mistake...

Well, a bitter lesson to learn. Always, always triple check to make sure the offsets match up with the motherboard screw holes before you screw her down. Its so easy to get that wrong and as I say, I've done it myself.

I heard that man. Rookie or not we always have to spend that time to double-check ourselves. My problem is if I am in a hurry to do something, I know I have done many times before...well that is when I do "my" rookie mistake.

Your suggestion in post #3 of the other thread was to remove from case and mini-build on an insulated surface. When I make a mini-build my first step in assembling a computer, it provides the baseline and has kept me from wasting time on a defective board and in troubleshooting any later problems because I can fall back on the knowledge that the dang thing worked when I had it out of the box on the table first.

DFI taught me a lesson about what stand-offs to use when they brought one series of boards out that had no hole in the board for one of the "real" middle ATX stand-offs. There was no hole because a component was too close and if you put a stand-off there...well it would often short. It would not scorch a trace most the time, but it surely would not boot. And that stand-off being there or not there and causing problems depended on the quality of the case. Some cases did not snug the board down enough to short...others did. That was a pain to find years ago. That taught me to put a magic marker circle around the necessary stand-offs and have not errorred since then. Now I said it and will get in a hurry and do something rookie if I am not careful.

Hope the good Dr. W. can get his deal sorted now. Maybe it will all come out well in the wash. Luck man.

Back